Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

copy from outlook to Word changes style (All)

Hi

I think this should be in Word forum but please move it if it is not.

Has anybody seen this. This is a big issue at the moment in my company and the boss is blaming the doc group. This is the scenario.

1. Outlook set up to use Word as an e-mail editor
    2. Outlook style set up as Verdana

This normally happens when replaying or forwarding a message but have also seen it happening when sending a new message

3. Write couple of lines of e-mail text
    4 .Select the lines and copy
    5. Open a new Word document using Normal.dot template (this template has been set up for Normal style font to be Verdana (which is a company style)
    6. Paste the text from e-mail to this new Word document
    7. The paragraph after the copied text is Normal but set with Arial font
    Can somebody tell me why this would happen please? The boss is giving me grief on this - so any pointers highly appreciated.

Screenshot attached. First is e-mail & second is word.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: copy from outlook to Word changes style (All)

Using Word as e-mail editor is bound to cause grief. Unless you're using Outlook 2007, in which you have no choice, you should *not* use Word as e-mail editor.

Does pressing Ctrl+Spacebar correct the issue?

Thanks

I generally don't use Word as my email editor, having been warned off by the likes of HansV. But I have been experimenting and wonder if the following helps.

How did you set the font in the email to be Verdana? Did you just change it in the font drop down box to say that? If so, try going to Tools - Options - then the Mail Format tab, then click the Fonts button. What does that say the default font for messages is? In mine it said Arial. Now if I change that to Verdana, and in Word make Verdana the font for the Normal style in the Normal template, I find that text I copy from an email remains in Verdana font when I paste it into a Word document.

Does that help?

Now I'm off to change my fonts and my email format back the way I like them!

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ian and Hans - I agree with you 100% in *not* using Word as e-mail editor (I don't use it myself).

Now about the boss - he is the commercial director and insists on using WORD as the e-mail editor. I can't do much about that.

Also, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my opening message. It is *NOT* the text that changes font but the line/paragraph after the copied text changes to 'Arial'. So he now adds info in the next paragraph & it is in Arial font. Now, I know that originally the company normal font was 'Arial' so it may be retained somehow in the template. I don't know how this would be possible though. We were on Word97 when the template was changed to use Verdana and now we are on Office 2000.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Thanks

Still it may be that it's Outlook that brought the Arial with it. Did you try changing the default font as I suggested?

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have set up the font exactly as you have desribed previously. That's why I am stumped. No inline changing of the font at all.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Thanks

Then I hope Hans knows the answer!

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edit: 10:24.

Hans

Thinking about it bit more. In WORD 97 we used get something like 'Default Paragraph Font' as a style. If I remember correctly this was set to Arial or Times New Roman in the template (designed before I joined the company). Perhaps, the Arial font comes from there. But under Word 2000 we don't have anything like 'Default Paragraph Font' and the style management is all different from 97 - so not easy spot if anything sinister is happening.

So, is it possible to access and set the 'Default Paragraph Font' in Word 200 to 'Verdana' from 'Arial'? May be that would solve the problem.

I wish I could tell the boss to stop using Word in Outlook (I have hinted at it but he is one ...)
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried my suggestion to press Ctrl+Spacebar in the empty paragraph after the pasted text (i.e. in the paragraph set to Arial)?

Default Paragraph Font is not really a style. It is used in the definition of character styles to indicate the font specified in the paragraph style definition.

For example, let's say that you have a character style defined as Default Paragraph Font + Italic.

If you apply this to text set to Verdana 14 Bold, the result will be Verdana 14 Bold Italic.
    If you apply it to text set to Comic Sans 12, the result will be Comic Sans 12 Italic.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. I tried Ctrl-Spacebar - no difference to the style. It is still Normal with *Arial* font. :-(.

Edit 15:06.

Tried further experiments. If I paste the text using Paste Special and select *Unformatted Text* - it come across as Verdana and *no paragraph break* after the insertion. Strange. In effect, this replaces the empty para in the new document with the copied text.

By default, if we do Ctrl-V it copies the text as *HTML Format*. Again, having looked at the style for *Preformatted HTML*; nothing strange in it - it refers to Verdana everywhere.

I say this is a Word conspiracy to keep me busy on this menial task :0).
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ctrl+Space resets character formatting to that specified in the paragraph style definition. If Ctrl+Space leaves the text as Normal but with Arial as font, it would seem that Arial is the font for the Normal style...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It changes after copy to Arial from Verdana. Mind boggles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

Thanks

Is it possible that you have the Normal style set to automatically update?

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Ian.

Unfortunately, I have to leave now but will get back to this tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the pointers Hans and Ian. I may pick you brains again tomorrow :-).
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although your screenshot makes me think that it is already off, make absolutely sure that the "Automatically Update" check box is off (clear) in the Modify Style dialog for Normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast