5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tables of Authorities (2003)

Hello all,

Whenever I create a TOA, it automatically adds in the TOA heading (e.g., "Rules," "Treatises," "Cases," etc.), which I don't want there. Is there a way of getting rid of it? I already tried changing the color of the TOA heading style to white so that it is invisible, but surely there must be a simpler way, no?

JMT

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tables of Authorities (2003)

It isn’t really any simpler, but you can also rename the category name, even renaming it to a blank space.

In the “Mark Citation” window (Alt-Shift-i) press the “Category…” button (on the right hand side), and you are presented with a space in which to type new names for the categories.

Just deleting the existing names in this space doesn’t hold -- they regenerate -- but pressing the spacebar a couple times, rather than entering text, will produce a blank space instead of a category name on the TOA Heading line when you insert or refresh your TOA.

Easier probably, tho, to just redefine the TOA Heading style to white, as you said. You could also redefine that style to be very very short, and it would hardly even be noticeable.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again,

Any idea as to how to get Word to automatically create a space between all of the entries in a TOA that begin with a different letter? For example, in many casebooks, all of the cases that begin with the letter "A" are listed and followed by a space followed by all of the cases that begin with "B," etc.

Regards,

JM T

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh ... and one other small question: when I add a TOA entry, I can directly edit the short citation form in the dialogue, but the long citation field appears as an empty box that I can do nothing with. Thus, i have to go into the actual code after closing the dialogue to indicate how I want the long form citation to show up. Is there a way to put in the long citation form directly in the dialogue?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that's possible.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No.

Thanks

JMT,

Edit it in the top box, where the cite appears (the one you can't move to the bottom box). In my screenshot below, I've added a Shift+Enter at the end of the case name, and that's the way it will appear in the TOA. You can further rearrange or tweak the actual cite. Click "Mark All" when done as I've found these changes sometimes don't "take" unless you do.

Or you can simply add the cite to the document and set Show/Hide to Show (so the paragraph marks display), and edit the cite directly in the document.

Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you!