Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Strange new account

Tonight I ran Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and got some surprising results: "3 of 5 user accounts have blank or simple passwords." I am the sole user of this Vista Home Premium machine. To learn that I have five accounts on it came as a real surprise! Here's what I do know:

1. At log-on, I get two choices. The account I always use has just my first name, and I use a 16-digit strong password. The other account displays both my first and last names. I have only a fuzzy memory of when or why I set up the second account, but it may have been the very first account I set up when I brought the new machine home from the store. Furthermore, if I try to use it I get an error: The account password has expired and I can't get into it. BTW: Both accounts are "administrator" accounts.

2. "Manage Accounts" in Control Panel shows only three accounts: The two I just mentioned plus Guest ("Guest is off").

3. MBSA lists the aforementioned three accounts plus (a) Administrator and ( IUSR_NMPR.

I Googled "IUSR_NMPR" and found other folks who'd seen this account on their machines. I appears to be harmless—set up by some application that I use. At least one user said they'd tried to delete IUSR_NMPR, but could not delete it, even as an administrator. (I have not tried to delete this account and won't until I learn more here in this forum.)

My questions:

Q1. Why do I not see see Administrator and IUSR_NMPR accounts in Control Panel > Manage Account? Would it not be good to be able to see them?
    Q2. Might I run into problems because my Administrator account is disabled? (That's what MBSA reports.)
    Q3. Can I safely delete the user account that goes by both my first and last names (the one I mentioned in 1 above)? Will I be able to delete that account, given that the password has expired?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Strange new account

Q1.) Disabled accounts are hidden. You may also hide non-disabled accounts by following this procedure User Account - Hide - Vista Forums. NOTE: the caveats & warnings before doing this.

Q2.) Not as long as you have at least one 'administrator' account active. See Windows Vista Security : Built-in Administrator Account Disabled for more information. Also, see HOW TO: Enable the build-in Administrator account in Windows Vista if you feel you must have the builtin administrator account active.

Q3.) Yes, you can safely delete it. No, you should not have any problem deleting it. BUT, before you do consider that some people have a second account that is an adminstrator setup and available just in case their primary admin account becomes corrupted or unusable in some way. So, you may want to just reset the password, Create a password reset disk, save the reset disk in a safe place.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Strange new account

Q1. Why do I not see see Administrator and IUSR_NMPR accounts in Control Panel > Manage Account? Would it not be good to be able to see them?

A, in my opinion NO, if you can not see then you will not have to worry about any of the REQUIRED accounts. I think that "dot net" has or did have a required account.

Q2. Might I run into problems because my Administrator account is disabled? (That's what MBSA reports.)

A, The Administrator account ids NOT disabled, since you have a Home version, then when you boot to the SAFE mode then you can log in to that account.

Q3. Can I safely delete the user account that goes by both my first and last names (the one I mentioned in 1 above)? Will I be able to delete that account, given that the password has expired?

A, Yes, as long as you do NOT need it. But, I like have a second Admin account as a back door in case my prime account gets clobbered.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.