Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hiding aliases (2003 (11.8217.8202) SP3)

My brother set me up with a set of aliases on GoDaddy...so that if they get spammed, I can simply discard them.

I can receive mail at these addresses, but if I reply, even if I add a "From" field in Outlook and specify the alias address (which DOES appear in my Outlook address book), the recipient sees My Name [my real E-mail address] on behalf of [alias].

How do I get around this?

Joel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Hiding aliases (2003 (11.8217.8202) SP3)

If these are actual e-mail accounts set up separate accounts in Outlook. You'll be able to receive and send from each. So, if you want to discard them you just delete the account.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Never reply to spam. All addresses get a certain amount of spam, and the benefit having multiple addresses is that you can let it accumulate in accounts that seem to become magnets for it, while paying attention to the addresses that have the good stuff. Incidentally, the ratios are so terrible, and the cost to industry so high, that lawmakers are trying to write laws to deal with it. You might like to follow the news on that.

You should monitor the aliases occasionally and notify parties you want to receive mail from that is ending up in the spam can of your preferred address.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have to change my reply regarding spam to 'Never reply to spam that is from an unknown or suspicious source'. If it is a known entity such as a corporate site and there is a reason for them to send you material, then there will normally be a reply address that allows you to be taken off their list. This is similar to the 'no junk mail' and 'no telemarketers' options that are legally enforceable in some jurisdictions. Just be sure that it really is what it claims to be, which very few of us can do in a timely manner. You might look up phishing to see what can happen in that regard.