Star Lounger
    Thanks

VLOOKUP (2000 SP3)

This is a currency conversion problem. One sheet has the transaction amounts and the currency they're in. Then there's a sheet with the conversion rates for each month. The "conversion" sheet is a worksheet that separates each currency into its own column and then looks up the rate to use. It's that VLOOKUP for the rate that is causing us problems. Mine works but hers returns #N/A

I'm attaching two files, one of which I made and the formulas work (currency.xls). The second (FXVlookup.xls) is one my student made and the (seemingly) exact same formulas don't work. I saved her file (as) in my computer and if I paste the formula from mine that works into hers, it doesn't work???

For the life of me I can't see any differences, either between her formula and mine or between her data file and mine.

Is this a version compatibility problem? She was having trouble getting it to work on her home computer before I got it and saved it into mine.

I don't want to complicate things by trying to zip the files, so they're coming in separately.

Thanks mucho.

Callie

PS I originally had all 12 months on my rate sheet, but deleted some to see if I could make it go to #N/A but it didn't seem to make any difference ??? I thought #N/A meant that there was a value needed in the formula that wasn't (yet) available ???
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VLOOKUP (2000 SP3)

Here's the second file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

#N/A means that VLOOKUP can't find the value it's looking for.

In your original file for example the formula looks for "Jan" and finds it in the table with Jan in the first column.
    In the second file, the month is entered as "January". If you change January to Jan then the vlookup should work

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, duh that was the exact problem. WHY I couldn't see it.....

Thanks a lot.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke