Star Lounger
    Thanks

Junk mail filters.txt not working (OL 2000 SR-1)

I've enabled the Junk Mail filter but it's acting like it's not processing the data in the filters.txt file. I can't see anything in the Junk Mail rule that looks like it references the filters.txt file unless it's part of the "suspected of being junk mail" thing that can't be viewed or edited.

I've tried creating my own junk mail rule and running it but it still doesn't catch messages that look like they ought to be an obvious junk-mail-delete. If I manually add the senders to the "Junk Mail Senders" list, they are processed properly but I might get the same message from multiple addresses and it's a pain to have to manually add them all. I might as well just delete the junk mail messages individually.

I looked in Knowledge Base and there's nothing at all about the filters.txt file. Is there something I'm missing to get it to process the filters.txt file as part of the Junk rule?

Thanks!
    Sue

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Junk mail filters.txt not working (OL 2000 SR-1)

More info...

After much searching, I finally found a reference (NOT on the Microsoft site...) that says that editing the filters.txt does NOT affect how the filter works...it's just a read-me file telling what the filter looks for.

Further search finally turned up a comment in an article that definitively stated that the Junk Mail filter can not be edited. The only way to add/remove filter items is to create your own Rules that over-ride the Junk Mail filter.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Sue

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Junk mail filters.txt not working (OL 2000 SR-1)

And what is silly about the junk mail filter is that
    it classes anything with sales@ in the FROM line as junk mail. Have a look into filters.txt and you will see this.
    But this is a common possibility. Many websites have an email address of "sales@ourcompany.com" that you actually want a reply from kept - not trashed!!
    Weirder and weirder..