Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

downloads driving me crazy (SP1)

For about one month, downloads have not been working properly on my notebook computer running Vista SP1. I click on a file in the web browser and receive the "Run, Save, Cancel" dialog. I choose "Save" and initiate the download. For large files, it is clear from the elapsed time, the on-screen counter, and an IP-traffic monitor that the download is occurring. However, when the download is complete and I look in the appropriate folder, no file has been created. It's as if the download occurs correctly to the Windows-Temporary location, but the copy operation into the destination folder fails. This occurs under three different browsers - IE 7, Firefox 3.0.1, and Maxthon 2.1.2. It worked correctly until about one month ago.

I've usually been able to workaround by using the Maxthon Download Manager, but it fails on certain websites (downloads the HTM file instead of the target file). I was able to download a vital file by using my WinXP machine which is unaffected.

Any idea what causes this behaviour, and what I need to do to correct it?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: downloads driving me crazy (SP1)

I don't have a ready answer, but I do have a question: what firewall software are you using? I know it's a slight risk you may not want to take, but given the (sometimes) strange behaviour of (some) firewalls, you could briefly turn it off, download a file and real quickly turn the firewall back on. This test is only intended to see if the firewall is blocking the download file "writing" without kindly telling you about it. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Can you download a file to the desktop?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

I had a similar problem with FF 3.01 that was solved by deleting all entries in the FF downloads dialogue box and temporarily changing the download location target to a new location. Successfully downloaded several files to new location. Restarted FF and then reset download location target back to the original location. Everything has been working fine since [about 10 days]. I can't tell you why, but it worked for FF 3.01 on a Vista 64 SP1 notebook.

YMMV,

Dr. Andy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A clue... when I download to the desktop, the file is visible for a few seconds. But when the "file transfer" dialog box diappears, then the file is deleted automatically. Tried the same concept into an arbitrary blank folder: the file was visible for as long as the "file transfer" dialog box was visible, but was deleted as soon as the file transfer dialog box was closed. The "close this dialog when transfer is completed" checkbox is CLEARED, but the dialog closes automatically anyway. Have toggled it to both states, always with the same results (dialog closes automatically).

Tried disabling the Windows Firewall, but no difference. Have cleared all the entries from the FireFox download dialog.

I will be away from web access for a week, so will not be able to respond to any suggestions until I return. Any help still appreciated!
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you tried disabling your Anti-virus software and then downloading a file? If you run any anti-spyware software such as Spybot S&D, or Windows Defender try disabling those also and testing the download.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Try to run your browser with elevated Administrator privileges ("Run as Administrator"). It looks like UAC (User Account Control) settings for your profile prevent you from saving downloaded files.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried disabling AVG Free 8.0 anti-virus (... cannot disable the AVG anti-spyware component). Tried running the browsers as Administrator. Same result every time -- file appears for a few seconds in the target folder, then is deleted spontaneously. Very weird. At least the "downloader" component of my primary browser continues to work separately from the bare-bones download, so I am not stuck, but I sure wish I knew what changed to cause this annoying behaviour.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you tried creating a new folder and downloading to it? I've seen similar behavior in Vista when the account does not have write permissions to the destination folder.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating a new folder makes no difference.

But it's starting to look like your original idea of conflict with Anti-Virus may be the culprit. When using FireFox, a "download" window is displayed during the download process. This is followed by a progress bar that states "... scanning for virus..." The file is deleted immediately upon this progress bar being dismissed. I have double-checked that AVG 8.0 Anti-virus is disabled -- there is a checkbox in the AVG 8.0 user interface to turn off its Resident Shield. When I turn off Resident Shield and reboot the computer, Windows Security Centre reports that both Anti-Virus and Spyware are disabled.

Regardless of the Resident Shield setting, FireFox continues to display its "... scanning for virus..." progress bar, and *something* deletes the file when the progress bar reaches completion. Makes me think that either FireFox is mis-reporting what is currently happening or that AVG is not completely disabled.

I have not tried uninstalling AVG anti-virus.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Administrator
    Thanks

"Resident Shield" is the real time scanning component of AVG. There could still be an active FF plugin that has nothing to do with the real time AVG component. There should be somewhere in FF to disable the plugin. I don't use FF so I can't point you in the correct direction.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went into the Windows Services setup and disabled two services with "AVG" in their names. Rebooted the computer, and now the AVG User Interface indicates that no AVG components are active. Same result with downloading a file -- delete about 5 seconds after it is created in the folder. I can't see anything in the FF configuration setup that pertains to virus scanning. Also, the behaviour is almost identical in my other browser (Maxthon), which is based on IE.

Much as I hate to say so, I think it's time to admit defeat and just put up with this goofy behaviour. At least I can used the Maxthon Download Manager to successfully download files. Maybe one day it will fix itself just like it broke itself (yeah, right...)

I appreciate all your input.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

An update...

Finally tracked down the issue about one month ago. It was AVG Anti-virus... or so it would seem. Deleted AVG completely, installed Avast, and the problem went away. Until today when it appeared again. So, what's changed...???

Two days ago, I did the monthly Windows Update. There were 15 updates, which I dutifully installed. So I rolled back to the latest Restore Point, and the problem went away. Aha! Next, I installed the 15 updates more-or-less individually. There were a bunch of MS Office 2007 updates, plus some others that looked innocent enough. I retained the Malicious Software Removal Tool until last. Tested the download success after each installation and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I was almost hoping that ONE of the updates would trigger the problem, but that was not the case.

So I am no better off than before, although I know it was caused by Windows Update, and I have a hunch that the sequence of installations had something to do with causing the download problem. I will be more careful next time when installing the Windows Updates, and I plan to always keep the Malicious Software Removal Tool until last. I really don't know how it works or what it does, but the very nature of its name makes me suspect it has something to do with the problem. I realize that's not a very scientific approach, but *something* in that collection of 15 updates caused the problem.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have been installing ALL of the Vista updates and have NEVER had these issues that you are having.
    I am using F-Protect for my AV.
    It MUST be something that you are or some other protection program is changing on you.
    What other protection programs are you running?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Independent of this forum, I searched online for other people having similar problems. Probably spent 20 hours looking for and trying solutions. Found quite a community of people with identical issues. A general concensus was that AVG was involved, and that's what lead me to delete AVG and install Avast. And as I said, the download problem re-emerged this morning after having been absent since installing Avast. The Windows Update was on Thursday night, and going back to the previous restore point on Saturday morning removed the problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

Other software? Windows Security Centre reports that Avast is running as both virus protection and spyware/malware protection. Nothing else is reported. I *have* installed other programs on the computer(Windows Defender, Search & Destroy, and Adaware), but none of them are running.

I agree with your assessment that some software on my computer is is part of the problem. But the proximity to the Windows Update and the ease with which the System Restore eliminated the problem leads me to conclude that something in the most recent package (in combination with something on my computer) was also involved. I don't doubt for a second that you haven't had problems, but as the old saying goes: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I would dearly love to know what particular software on my computer is colliding with Windows Update.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast