Lounger
    Thanks

Vista and SHTML (IE 7.0.6001.18000)

IE7 will open an SHTML file on a website, but it will not open one on my hard drive. I cannot verify my pages before sending them to my website. I get a Windows message that "Internet Explorer has stopped working . . . Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I am using Vista Home Premium with SP1.

How can I get IE to open SHTML files on my hard drive?
    Thanks, Bruce

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vista and SHTML (IE 7.0.6001.18000)

Hi Bruce

Have a look at this:

Internet Explorer 7 does not start or stops responding

HTH
    Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jerry,

I tried some of the techniques on the referenced link, including running IE7 without add-ons. Same problem. I turned turned Protected Mode off and that did not help. A friend of mine says that when he opens a page with an SHTML extension from his hard drive, he gets a listing of the source code. BTW, the same problem exists with WinXP. I wonder if FireFox acts this way. Perhaps I should use it for these pages.

Bruce

Thanks

When a web server sends a file to the browser, it first sends a Content-Type so the browser knows whether to treat it as HTML or something else. That is not available when you open a file from the local system.

Any reason not to rename the file(s) to a more familiar .htm or .html extension?

Lounger
    Thanks

I do have the following first line on the web pages, but I guess this is not helping in this case.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

I need the "s" in shtml so that the website server will look for a style css file. Interesting that Netscape will open a page fine. I'll try to get by just using the web editor to look before uploading.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You could install IIS (the Microsoft Web Server) and use it to test your web site. To install IIS go to control panel | Programs | Turn Windows features on or off. Then just check the box for Internet Information Services.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 10-Aug-08 21:53. Oops, was thinking of a different post.)</P>A doctype declaration assists the browser in determining how to lay out the page, but it doesn't deal with content-type. There might be a <meta> tag for that, but since you won't need it on the server, it's probably not worth editing all your pages to include it.

I'm a little confused about why you need .shtml -- invoking server-side includes on the server -- to serve a style sheet. Using a <link> tag, the browser should retrieve and apply the CSS file regardless of what happens on the server. Or are you changing the CSS file name using SSI?? If you don't need SSI, avoid it: it milliseconds of adds overhead to the process of serving each page.