5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Touchpad (Vista)

Dear Loungers,

My Synaptics touchpad abruptly stopped working yesterday. I went into the control panel device manager and saw that the "device is working properly," so I don't know what to do. Restarting didn't help. Anyone have experience with this?

Regards,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Touchpad (Vista)

Chnaged any BIOS setting to turn it off? Added any new software? Applied any pathces? Tried a System Restore to a time when you are sure it was working?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes; I hooked up a pocket pc which then installed some new software. But I don't think that would have turned off the touchpad, do you? Do you think I can just uninstall and reinstall the touchpad driver?

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

The new software may be the culprit. You could try uninstalling it or using System Restore to go back to a point before the installation. You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the touchpad driver. However, it could be that the pocket pc driver & touchpad driver conflict.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

I realized that it wasn't the new software, because I installed it on Friday or maybe on Saturday, but the problems only started happening last night (Sunday). Besides, when I went into the Install/UNinstall dialogue, the pocket pc wasn't even listed there, so maybe software wasn't installed (or at least not installed successfully - I do, however, remember, there was a little message on the taskbar that said "please wait while windows installs tihs software (or driver or something similar)").

I did, however, discover what the problem was: on Vista laptops (or at least on Acer Vista laptops), <Fn> + <F7> toggles the Touchpad. So at some point, I must have accidentally pressed that combo. Pressing it again undid the toggle, which is great since I don't have to back up and do a system restore.

Regards,

JMT