2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Grouping of Data in Combo Box (2003)

I have a combo box which feeds off a table, with data being front loaded through a form. The items being entered in the form, and thus populating the combo box, are entered in no particular order. Each item required the use to select what type of item it is. Items are categorized by <trainingType> Procedures, Work Instructions, Regulatory, etc...

What I would like to do if possible, is when they are selecting the desired information from the combo box, is to have the data sorted by groups. Currently I have the information formatted to display in Alphabetical order, but that does not mean all of the 'Procedures' are grouped together in order, work instructions in order, etc. Even if I sorted on the <trainingType> field, there is no clean & clear breakpoint within the combo box.

Here is an example of what I would like to do...though not sure if it is possible.

----WORK INSTRUCTIONS----
    Work instruction 1
    Work instruction 2
    Work instruction 3
    etc.
    (space if possible)
    ----PROCEDURES----
    Procedure 1
    Procedure 2
    Procedure3
    etc.
    (another space)
    ----REGULATORY---
    you get the picture....

Any ideas or suggestions is much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grouping of Data in Combo Box (2003)

Although it would be possible to do that, it goes against the grain of the way a combo box works. I'd use two synchronized combo boxes instead: the user selects a category from the first one, then an item belonging to that category from the second one.

See How to synchronize two combo boxes on a form in Access 2002 or in Access 2003. There are also several examples of cascading combo boxes in this forum, e.g. <post#=132,255>post 132,255</post#>.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grouping of Data in Combo Box (2003)

I suppose that probably makes the most sense, and the easiest to set up. Thanks for your reply.