Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

True Image and missing Explorer Shell options (XP Pro SP2)

Hello, I'm sure my problem with True Image has been caused by creating a new admin account and downgrading my previous admin account to limited user. I'm hoping someone might have a solution. If I'm using my limited user account I can right click on a true image file (.tib) and see the mount option. However, this option is missing from my admin account. I guess because I didn't install True Image from that account . Should I reinstall True Image? But if I do will that remove the mount image option from my limited user account? It would be nice to have mount as an option with both accounts.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: True Image and missing Explorer Shell options (XP Pro SP2)

You could try running a repair from the admin account. If that doesn't work I'd uninstall it and reinstall it using the admin account. During the installation make sure to select 'for all users' if given the opportunity. NOTE: You may have to do a custom install if that is an option.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: True Image and missing Explorer Shell options (XP Pro SP2)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 12-Aug-08 10:21. )</P>When you installed TrueImage, did you install it for ALL users or JUST the installing user?
    If NOT all users you will need to remove and reinstall it.

Edit,
    I believe that it requires a admin account to run so it can access ALL areas of the disk.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: True Image and missing Explorer Shell options

Thanks for the replies. Just an update on the latest situation. I'm now waiting to hear aback from Acronis support, though I'm not holding my breath. I went for the reinstall option but it wouldn't uninstall properly. Was told that some files were corrupt and then Acronis Disk director developed an error at boot up. I ended up having to use JV16 power tools to search through the registry and delete all Acronis Entries. This left me having to reinstall both True Image and Disk Director. I was unable to install the latest version of either software because I kept getting strange errors. I've attached the most common one. I finally managed to install a version of each but I'm nervous about trying either out. Especially Disk Director. I do have mount options for True Image in my admin profile and they do work but the experience was almost enough to drive me back to using an image prior to setting up my limited user account. I'm hanging on with it, but only just.

Chris (Hunt)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

It might be worth a try to uninstall both applications (from add/remove programs), then run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (remove the installation information for both TI and DD), and then try a reinstall of both.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John, do you think that it could be more thorough than a combination of jv16 power tools (old free version) and reovunistaller? There was no trace of anything Acronis in the registry or file folders when I tried to reinstall the programs. I guess it is possible that the installation files have got corrupted. I've been trying to download updates from Acronis but am beginning to suspect that they are not offering downloads for versions 9 and 10 any more. Every time I try, I get a message about the download not being available and it has been like that for a couple of days.

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Chris, are you logging in to your own account at the Acronis web page and then going to your registered products page? I just did that to check them out and the attached is a combo-shot of two clips showing their willingness to let me download both 9 and 10. I didn't check Disk Director Suite, figuring it would work the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

The CleanUp Utility does not remove any files - it simply removes only the Windows Installer configuration information that is related to the applications.

If this information has become corrupted, subsequent updates or application removals may become problematic. If you decide to use the utility, uninstall the programs first and then run the cleanup utility for both programs. If you reverse this procedure (i.e. run the CleanUp Utility first), you will not be able to remove the applications via the add/remove programs function. The utility removes all installer configuration information and add/remove programs depends on this information for a successful uninstall. Hope this makes sense.
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Big Al - just tried again and it is working now. Downloading as I type. I guess their server must have been down for a few days.

Cheers,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again, got the files but am still getting error messages as before. Guess I'll have to wait for a reply from Acronis.

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John, is this information held anywhere other than the registry? There was no mention of Acronis in the add/remove programs dialogue and nothing in the registry when I tried to install.. I think the problem is to do with the Acronis msi installer itself.

Chris

Thanks

"is this information held anywhere other than the registry?"

I don't know Chris. Are you saying that there is no mention of Acronis in the Windows Installer CleanUp list of installed applications, or in Windows add/remove dialogue?
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Are you saying that there is no mention of Acronis in the Windows Installer CleanUp list of installed applications, or in Windows add/remove dialogue?"

Yes, that's right, no mention of Acronis at all, but the install wouldn't start. However, I found an answer but I can't figure out why. I changed the setting of my non admin account back to admin (It was my original admin account). I was then able to install without problem. I have the mount option available for both accounts but of course they are currently both admin. Now I'm wondering which one to downgrade to a limited user account. I'm currently thinking of swapping account names and downgrading my new account and keeping the old admin account as admin but with a changed name. The reason I want a limited user account with my original admin account user name is because I have lots of scripts and other settings that refer to that name. Can anyone think of a reason why I could only install from my original admin account? I'm wondering if it is because that was the account that I used to download the exe files with. Does anyone else use a limited user account. Has anyone else noticed similar problems?

Thanks,

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Downloading files with a limited account would not affect the ability to install with another account as long as the other account had access to the downloaded files. As far as having to install using the original account goes, if you are sure that all traces of TI & Acronis were removed from the registry the only thing I can think of is that there was a hidden file or folder in the original account and the installer does some sort of search for it. You should never install under a non-admin account and never change an admin account to a non-admin account.

Here a couple of articles that may help your quest - Aaron Margosis' "Non-Admin" WebLog : The easiest way to run as non-admin & Running Windows Under Non-Admin Accounts.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe, I have seen both those pages. Why do you say you should never change an admin acccount to a non-admin account? When I first started looking into this I came across some posts on one of the GRC newsgroups that suggested that setting up everything with an admin account, creating another admin account and downgrading the original admin account to limited user was the easiest and most reliable way to get a limited user account to work. Also if software doesn't have the option to run for all users then if one doesn't install it by temporarily raising the limited user account to admin level you might find that you can't use the software with the limited user account.

I think your idea about a hidden file sounds plausible but it must have been hidden in a place other than the original Acronis folder as I wiped that as well. I did a search for Acronis and made sure I was including hidden files and folders and nothing showed up. My idea to switch user names was a total flop. I forgot that the original system folders would keep the same names. Right now I've gone back to my original plan of using a new admin account and my original admin account as limited user. I installed the most update versions of Acronis using my LUA acount while it was an admin account and that worked without error. I've since tested making an image, mounting an image and reinstalling an image from my new admin account and it has worked. I 'm still having some teething troubles using my limited user account but I think I will stick with it. What I do need to read up on and check the settings for are permissions. I've switched off simple fire sharing and I probably need to do some pruning regarding what areas of the computer my LUA still has access to. The current Belarc rating for my PC is 7.26 and would be almost 9 out of 10 if I installed XP Service Pack Three. Having said this I have had the rating at maximum when I was using just an admin account so I don't know what store, if any, to set by the rating.

All the best,

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast