Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Office 2007 (Standard)

What's the consensus on MS OFfice 2003 vs. 2007? Is it worth the upgrade or is it very hard to learn?

Thank you for your thoughts.
    br

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Office 2007 (Standard)

The initial learning curve is a bit steeper than previous upgrades due to the new ribbon system replacing the old menus/toolbars. I found the new system easy to learn and now would not want to go back to an earlier version of Office.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you'll find consensus on a subject such as Office 2003 vs Office 2007, or Windows XP vs Windows Vista.

I can only give you my very subjective impressions. From what I've seen of Office 2007, it's a valiant effort by Microsoft to move to a new interface and a new file format. The new ribbon interface appears to be geared towards inexperienced users, it takes a lot of getting used to for experienced users. And some new features appear to be half-baked, perhaps because of time pressure.

In the end, you'll have to get used to the new interface at some point. And it'll become more difficult to buy Office 2003. I cannot decide for you whether it's worth the effort to get used to Office 2007 now, or to stick it out with Office 2003 for the moment and hope that Office 2010 (or whatever the next version will be) will repair some of the failures of Office 2007...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

I agree with both Tony and Hans. I use Office 2007 on the PCs that I frequent most regularly. I don't like going back to Office 2003 on the occasions that I'm on a different PC than normal. It will take a little while but not excessively long to get used to the new ribbon interface.

However, the next version of Office will most likely be released sometime next year. You may want to wait for it and see what Microsoft has managed to add, fix, & screw up compared to Office 2007. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any reliable information on the next version.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Blacktown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

I can only say that I like Office 2007. The only downside is that at present if I wish to send a file to someone I need to know if they have Office 2007, otherwise I need to save in 2003 format. This can be a bit of a pain. All in All. I grew to like it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thank you all for your help. I'm going to take the plunge.

Best,
    br

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Joe,
    <hr>the next version of Office will most likely be released sometime next year<hr>
    I doubt it. I'd be surprised if there's a new version before 2010. Most likely all there'll be beforehand is the regular updates plus a few Service Packs to improve the weak areas.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

That very well may be the case. The Office development team became very secretive when Steven Sinofsky (who now heads the Windows team) took it over and continues to be secretive. I've just read an opinion or two that the time frame for the next version of Office will not necessarily correspond to that for the next client version of Windows and that the Office team was more likely to be on what has been their more usual two year cycle for major releases.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>The only downside is that at present if I wish to send a file to someone I need to know if they have Office 2007, otherwise I need to save in 2003 format.<hr>
    I encourage everyone that is still running Office XP or 2003 to download and install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats so that they can read newer format documents.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When the compatability pack was first released it would truncate Excel documents with no warning or notice. Does anyone know if this has been addressed? Out concern with releasing the compatability pack is our users won't get the whole excel document and never know there is information missing. Thanks for any input.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Office 2007 myself, so I cannot compare the converted workbooks to the original versions, but I've used the compatibility pack to open .xlsx workbooks attached to posts here in Woody's Lounge and never noticed data unexpectedly missing. But of course people cannot attach really large workbooks...