5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New computer purchase

I am needing to purchase a new computer for work. I have the option to purchase a new Dell that still has XP Pro on it (from MicroCenter). The other option is to purchase s slightly faster Dell but with Visa Home Premium (from BestBuy).
    What do you recommend for a work environment? Is it better to stay with XP Pro or go ahead and migrate to Vista and will this version of Vista even connect to a network. I knew that before XP Pro was needed in order to login to a domain network.

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New computer purchase

As far as I know, Vista Home Premium is like XP Home in that you can't use it to login to a domain network. So either get a PC with Vista Business or go with XP Pro.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You must get Vista Business or Ultimate to join a domain. I'd recommend getting Vista. Vista is inherently more secure than XP. A properly configured Vista system perform quite well for you. Since it is for work you should make sure that all your business applications will run on Vista. Also, make sure there are Vista drivers for all periperal devices that you need to access.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for both of the replies. I don't see that BestBuy has any affordable PC's with Visa Business; if they did I think it'd be a lot more especially since that's not a high demand configuration. I think I'll stick with the XP Pro especially since all my apps I know work with it.