Thread: Sharing OE?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing OE?

We have two computers, networked together. One runs WinME, the other Win98. Either (or both) can run Outlook Express - we have version 5. Is there any way in which e-mail received on one machine can be readily presented in OE (or any other e-mail client) on the other machine?

For example, is there a way of sharing OE to achieve this?

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing OE?

no, can't share. you can leave mail on the server and collect it on both machines or get a proxy server to collect mail from the server and use your programs to get mail from it. (cuts down on dialing out, mail is always local)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. When you suggest using a proxy server, I assume you mean setting up another machine here as the proxy, or is there a simpler method?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no, use the machine that is on more as the proxy - or if it runs a lot of apps, use the other one as a mail proxy. it doesn't take a lot of resources to run a proxy server for a small amount of mail.

i thought winproxy could do mail, if not, search at downloads.com for one.

maxg

Yes you can "share" your mail and address book with multiple computers!
    I have 5 (I have 3 teenagers!) users on 2 computers (1 with Win98/Win2000 dual boot, the other with Win98).
    All the users' mail, address books, documents, favorites, and cookies are stored on
    a 3rd Win98 computer.
    The trick involves editing the registry, so if you're game, here's the solution for OE:

<hr>First, decide which computer will house the files. For this example, I'll assume Computer 'A' and Computer 'B' and NO user profiles setup. You'll have to share the Windows folder on drive 'A'. On 'B' you'll need to map the 'A' C:Windows folder to a drive letter. Let's use M:

1. The location of your mail on 'A' is
    C:WindowsApplication DataIdentities{some hex ID number}MicrosoftOutlook Express
    The address book file is C:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftAddress BookAddrBook.wab
    2. Edit the following 2 Registry keys on 'B':
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERIdentities{that hex ID again}SoftwareMicrosoftOutlook Express5.0
    Change the Store Root" string to "M:Application DataIdentities{some hex ID number}MicrosoftOutlook Express"
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWabWAB4Wab File Name
    Change the <Default> to M:Application DataMicrosoftAddress BookAddrBook.wab<hr>
    Warnings If for any reason 'A' is not connected (offline or just off) Don't run OE on 'B'
    or Windows resets the folders back to the default; then you'll have to redo the above reg edits. Don't bypass the sharing and mapping; entering the path to 'A' as //computername/share won't work.

Sharing the Favorites, etc. is another story for another day. Let me know if you're interested in the Windows 98 Forum.