5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbar Shortcut (Word97/SR-2)

Afternoon -
    Am trying to place a shortcut to a utility to a toolbar when I work in Full Screen mode. What ends up on the toolbar is the program file (.exe). The utility holds multiple clipabord entries. Is this possible to do?

Many thanks.

Thanks

Re: Toolbar Shortcut (Word97/SR-2)

I'm sorry but from your description I'm not really able to fathom what it is you are attempting and what results you are currently getting.

Your question may be more appropriate for the VB / VBA forum.

It seems to me (showing my ignorance) that what you need is a macro that loads your program. That macro can then be placed on a toolbar/menu and can have a shortcut attached to it. Sorry that I'm not more help here.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charles - Sorry I wasn't clear. Let me try again:

I have a shortcut to ClipTrak utility on my Desktop and in Systray.

When I go into Full Screen mode, the systray is, of course, not visible; I would like to be able to access this utiilty when in Full Screen to paste its multiple clippings into the document I'm working on in Full Screen mode.

When I copy the shortcut from Desktop to the single Toolbar I allow myself in Full Screen, what I get is a new window titled "ClipTrak.exe (read only).

I guess the question is: can you run a shortcut to a Program from a toolbar??

I will attempt your suggestion of the Macro. I just assumed I could place a shortcut anywhere...

Thank you for your response, its promptness and suggestion. Some ignorance......

ACM

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by gwhitfield on 25-Aug-01 10:59.</P>ACM:

You can try a trick I proposed on another thread within the last 3-4 weeks (some help from the moderators since I don't remember all the details and I don't have the time right now to recreate - sorry).

If you use Internet Explorer, put a shortcut to the program in your Favorites folder. Then go into a mode where you can customize your toolbar (which I assume you know how to do based on your discussion). Goto the category of Web and the item called favorites. Drag this to your 1 toolbar. You now have a favorite that's a shortcut to your program.

My post gave a few more options and was more explicit. You can, for example, create a subfolder under Favorites for just pgm shortcuts since most shortcuts are usually URL's to web addresses.

Now that I think of it, do a search on Calculator. I recall I posted the above for someone who wanted to invoke the Windows calculator from within word.

If you don't use Int Explorer...

Fred

** Edited GeoffW- is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=58805&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post58805>this</A> the post? **

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred & Geoff- Thank you both so much. The solution sounds too sophisticated for me, but am certainly willing to have a go at it. Thank you both.

ACM

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

ACM:

Geoff found the right post. Don't worry about that post - there were lots of ways to proceed there and I was just experimenting then (had lots more time). If you do the part of it that I had in my last response to you and ignore all the other stuff, you'll just have a little left over and that will be your solution. In fact, my last response to you may stand on its own w/o having to resort to the post that Geoff found. But, as I said, I don't have time now to recreate it to see if it works - but it did then.

fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by acerfmayer on 25-Aug-01 14:37.</P>Fred - Thanks very, very much for your follow-up/thru.

I was able to get the Favorites folder on toolbar (renamed it to ClipTrak); When I click on my newly named ClipTrak, I get drop-down list Add to Favorite, Open...I then go to the folder, click on the shortcut,. get warning, click OK.

However---the icon that shows what

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

ACM -

it sounds like you didn't miss anything. just to review the steps, now that I have a few minutes.
    1. create a shortcut to your utility program in your Internet Explorer Favorites folder.
    a. find the program in Windows Explorer
    b. I right clicked the program and dragged the program to my desktop; selected "Create Shortcut Here"
    c. navigated in Windows Explorer to Favorites
    d. dragged the shortcut from my desktop into favorites
    e. optionally, could have created a subfolder under Favorites for programs and put the shortcut in there.
    2. Customize word
    a. go to View | Toolbars and click Customize at the bottom
    b. Click on the Commands tab
    c. in the left Categories column, click web
    d. in the Web commands, find Favorites and drag this to your toolbar

sounds like you did all of the above and even renamed the Favorites - great.

The warning about some programs may have viruses (assume that's the warning you got) can't be helped from what I know.

I did all of the above at work (Word 2000 on Win 98) and at home (Word 97 on Win 98) for the Calculator program. When I went into Full Screen mode, clicked Favorites and selected calculator, it came up on top of word - no problem seeing it.

So I'm not sure where to go next with your clipboard utility. Is there a way not to have it in the tray? While I was in full screen mode, I was able to get at my task bar and clicked on one of the programs in the tray. It opened on top of word.

So it seems I've gotten you most of the way there but can't help you with the last step. Sorry about that. Thought your program would behave the same way as calculator did. Maybe that's a question for the Windows or Office lounge.

Or were you successful, per your "Oops"? I couldn't tell.

fred