Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create list in Mail Merge (2003)

I am trying to create a form for a school directory. I have all family information stored in a database with FamilyName as the key. There is a FamilyInfo table and a studentInfo table. I want to send an email to all families asking to proof the information we have on file, which includes contact info and student names. This was originally a report in Access, with student info as a subreport.
    (=[StudentName] & "- " & [Grade]. We used to print the form and then distribute. This year I want to email the same info.
    1) Can you do an email merge with a report in Access?
    2) if not, I need help getting all student names to list for each family.
    I followed the MS code where CITY = FamilyName, EMPLOYEE = StudentName and SALES=Grade
    { IF { MERGESEQ } = "1" "{ MERGEFIELD CITY }
    " "" }{ SET Place1 { MERGEFIELD CITY }}
    { If { Place2 } <> { Place1 }"
    { MERGEFIELD CITY }
    { MERGEFIELD EMPLOYEE } { MERGEFIELD SALES }" "{ MERGEFIELD EMPLOYEE } { MERGEFIELD SALES }" }{ SET Place2 { MERGEFIELD CITY }}

Attached is the file with the field codes. (How can I paste field codes as text?)
    What am I missing?
    Thanks for your help!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create list in Mail Merge (2003)

1) Sending individual reports as e-mails from Access requires VBA code; you can find examples in the Access forum.

2) The type of mail merge that you want in Word only works with a "directory" type mail merge, not with merge to e-mail. So you'd have to split the resulting merged document into separate documents and e-mail them.
    You need to include the entire document in the field codes, and you'll have to add a dummy record at the end of the data source for the mailmerge. This will result in an extra letter which should be discarded.
    I have attached a modified document based on macropod's example in <post:=723,456>post 723,456</post:>. you will have to reattach the data source.

3) If you want to convert field codes to plain text or vice versa, you can use the macro by JScher2000 in <post:=320,421>post 320,421</post:> (also look at the replies to that post).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried to make sense of the fields and just can't figure out why the merge isn't working properly. When I link my data source with your letter, I just get the student name and grade. I don't get anything else. I've tried comparing all of the code to post 320421, it appears in line, but I can't get it to work.
    I can't get my other merge codes to come in nor can I get the text to be included. If I manipulate the placement of the static text, I can get it to appear, but I can't get multiple students to appear for one family. I've attached a sample data source.
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The problem was caused by the double quotes around the e-mail subjects, they caused Word to think strings had ended.
    Also, your data source has a missing field name and two of the field names used in the document don't occur in the data source.
    And you didn't add a dummy record to the end of the data source.
    The attached zip file contains modified versions of the document and data source, you'll have to set up the mail merge to a directory and select the data source again.
    I've also included the result of the mail merge.