Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Error (2003 SP3)

I just started getting this error message in Outlook
    Task 'pop-server.neo.rr.com - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

The Road Runner support tells me it means the attachment is corrupt. The attachment is 4 MB in size and I have always been able to send that size before. So I tried another attachment of the same size, 4 MB and I got the same error message. I tries once more with yet another attachment with the same results so I know my attachments are not corrupt. So what can I do to fix Outlook or is it even in Outlook? Could it be their SMTP server sort of like I think the message suggests?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 Error (2003 SP3)

You could try the following in Outlook:
    - Select Tools | E-mail accounts...
    - Click "View or change existing e-mail accounts", then click Next>.
    - Select your RoadRunner account, then click Change...
    - Click "More Settings..."
    - Activate the Advanced tab.
    - Drag the "Server Timeouts" slider to the right.
    - OK your way out.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I tested that 3 times and it seems to work. Road Runner wanted me to uninstall Outlook and then reinstall it. I just wonder why all of a sudden this happened since I have never had this problem before. I would blame VIPRE anti-virus, which I did and which I recently installed, but I shut it down and restarted Outlook and it still bombed out until I lengthened that time as per your suggestion. It was set at 1 minute and I moved it to 5 minutes. However, I checked the same file on another machine I have with Outlook 2003 SP3 on it and it sent the file with the setting at 1 minute. I think I'll experiment until I get a 6 MB file to bomb out and then just bump the setting up a little from there.

I am now able to send a 6 MB file with a setting of 3 minutes. Would you agree there is no corruption in my Outlook program even though I did have to change the timing? I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of uninstalling and then reinstalling it if I don't have to.

Again, thanks.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I do not think your Outlook install is corrupted. This could be many things. As long as you're sure that Vipre was completely shutdown, you've already eliminated your A/V. It could be 1.) your Internet connection, 2.) server load at your ISP, 3.) load on your PC when sending, 4.) load on your network.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I was away from my PC for a bit. I agree with Joe Perez - I don't think Outlook is corrupted and it shouldn't be necessary to uninstall and reinstall.
    There's probably a bottleneck somewhere between your PC and RoadRunner's server that causes delays while sending. Increasing the server timeout lets you complete sending a large file.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe and Hans. I'm glad I don't have to go through the hassle. I'm as certain as I can be about VIPRE being shut down since a read alert popped up warning me my computer was at risk and VIPRE said it was turned off.
    H Lewton