Super Moderator
    Thanks

TrueImage 11 clobbered install

I have a client that tried to install TI 11 on a XP SP3 machine. The hard drive is 240 partition and a smaller recover (D) partition. Has a new FreeAgent 500 External USB drive (F).
    This install did complete, BUT, when trying to get to doing a backup up, on the pane about selecting "Files and Partitions" or "System", after selecting a "Files and Partitions", the pane is grayed out. After waiting over a hour, killed the program, tried to Uninstall it and when getting the message "Finishing" it will just set there waited for over a hour. Tried to do a repair from the CD and it got to about the same point and just sat there.

What do we need to do to get this cleaned up so we can maybe try another install?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: TrueImage 11 clobbered install

John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave. I've been having trouble with installing Acronis products recently as well (See thread). I think R evo Uninstall should be able to to find and remove any left overs. I've used it and it did what I needed. It is free:

Blurb:
    ------------------------
    [some] Benefits of Revo Uninstaller :

* Revo Uninstaller is completely free - no cost, no adware, no spyware;
    * You can uninstall programs easily and correctly;
    * You can uninstall a program and scan after its built-in uninstaller for leftover registry keys, files and folders;
    * You can uninstall programs even when their built-in uninstaller is corrupted and cannot be uninstalled;
    * You can search as you type for installed programs; The search is much faster than "Windows Add or Remove Programs" control panel applet!
    * You can see the list of installed programs much faster than with "Windows Add or Remove Programs" control panel applet!
    * You can view a lot of details of the programs installed on your computer and uninstall programs you don't need (for example uninstall programs depending on their size to free disk space);
    ------------------------

Hope this helps,

Chris (Hunt)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks to BOTH of you. I will give them a try in the next day or two.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited to add: this relates only to the Software uninstalling capacities of JV16 PowerTools. The latter has many more facilities.

Hi Chris,

This Revo software sounds like a freeware version of the well-known not-free JV16 PowerTools, which I have for a long time and serves me well. Do you have any experience with Revo and in particular how it compares to JV16 PowerTools?
    Concerning Dave's problem I would use Windows Install Clean Up and if that does not work, use JV16 Tools to get rid of all Acronis's traces.

Regards, Teunis

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Teunis, I haven't seen the not-free version of JV16 PowerTools so I can't compare that with Revo Uninstaller but it seems quite different from the free version of JV16. JV16 PowerTools has lots of features whereas Revo Uninstaller only focuses on unInstall. It offers four levels of depth. Level One just activates the regular windows/program uninstaller. Levels 2-4 do scans of the registry with level 4 being the most thorough. After uninstalling it offers a list of leftovers in the registry and the user can check which ones to uninstall. Level Four seems to be very thorough. I've only used it a little bit but it seems easier to uninstall individual items with it than either JV16 free or the Windows regular add/remove programs.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA Hello,
    I too have recently installed TI 11 home 8101, and a new internal 500 gb Hitachi hard drive . I let "TI add a new hard drive" do the disk setup. and when prompted i set the "SZ" (secure zone) at 200GB. All went as planed. Maybe "TI" does not see the new hard drive (if it didnt do the install) to begin with (when choosing "Disk& Partitions" or "System State") I have not had any problems with "TI" (other than no help from tech support) Acronis has a forum to post your questions that has helped me with my own, at least other users will respond to you! hope this is of some help. Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred,

Is your new 500GB Hitachi a replacement for your original system drive or a new add on drive? The reason I ask is that TI's Secure Zone is meant for users that only have a single hard drive and wish to reserve an area on that drive to serve as a repository for backups.

If you only have a single drive I would highly recommend that you acquire a secondary hard drive (internal or external) that would serve to hold your backups. With a single drive, the Secure Zone is not protected if you have a crash... all data on that physical drive can be lost.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Bob Hello,
    The Hitachi 500GB hard drive is in addition to my systems original "C" drive. According to Acronis (PDF download) and their recommendations the "SZ" (secure zone ) on a separate drive is where you should have your "backup image" in.The "Secure zone " is also where the "try&decide" feature operates. In addition to the "SZ" i put another "Full Back up Image" in a different folder (same drive) so that i can delete or modify it at my discretion (cant delete an image in the "SZ" without removing the secure zone itself.) or at least i don't know how to . Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks

I installed the latest update to TI 11 a couple of weeks back. After doing so, I stopped getting email notifications when an image job completed. I ran the test emails and they worked correctly.

So I contacted Acronis "support". Their response: uninstall and reinstall. Jeez. Well at least they didn't tell me to uninstall and reinstall Windows!

IMO, Acronis is falling apart.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

ibe98765 hello,
    Although i have had no luck whatsoever getting any help from acronis "tech Support" (about TI v 11 ) their forum is an excellent source of information. Both of my posts, were answered and helped me resolve the problems that i was having with "TI", which is now working just fine (system also) http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65 Hope this helps, Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred