New Lounger
    Thanks

Open PP 2001 files? (1)

Is there a way to get PP:mac to open PP 2001 files? It says they are not recognized by PP.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open PP 2001 files? (1)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Which version of PowerPoint for the Macintosh do you have? You can find out by selecting Help | About ...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have Powerpoint:mac v.X from 2001. It's from Microsoft Office X.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

PowerPoint v.X should be able to read PowerPoint 2001 files - as far as I know the file format is the same. What is the exact text of the error message that you get when you try to open a PowerPoint 2001 .ppt file?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Message reads "Powerpoint can not open the file (path to file) The file may be corrupt, in use, or of a type not recognized by PowerPoint." If I open the file with PowerPoint from Microsoft Office 2001, it works fine, so I know the files are not corrupt. Most of the files are b&w graphics and/or text. If, while I have it open in PP 2001, I make any slight change, when I go to save it PP asks if I want to update the file. If I do, the updated version is then recognized by PP:mac with no problem. However, to go into each file and do this would be prohibitive. I'm looking for an easier way.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope that someone who knows PowerPoint for the Mac will have a suggestion for you (I'm a Windows user myself).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One other point: have the presentations originally been created in an older version than PowerPoint 2001? PowerPoint X cannot open those - Microsoft omitted to add a converter for older versions, see Can't open old PowerPoint files in PP.X but PP.2001 can?!?.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open PP 2001 files?

Sounds like that may be the problem. My old PP files may indeed have been created by older versions of PP. I've been generating them since 1994. Even though the Mac group at Microsoft is small, it's hard to believe they didn't maintain backward compatibility.
    Has anyone else generated a third party patch to do this?