prof tom

office xp clipboard (xp)

I have a strange behavior in my recently installed Office XP (installed on an NY4v6 machine). If I am in another (i.e., non-Microsoft) program and do a <copy> the Microsoft Office copy clipboard shows up in my sys tray. I do not think I need tohave any MS software running to have this occur. I am not sure it is hurting anything, but I wonder what is up. Can anyone enlighten me?

Prof Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: office xp clipboard (xp)

Click on the spike in your systray and you'll see the item you added to the clipboard, along with any other items that may be in it. The clipboard works a bit differently in XP than in earlier versions. It is much more graphical and flexible and you can actually see what you've put in it, rather than the generic little icon you saw in the Office 2000 clipboard.
    Charlotte

prof tom

Dear Charlotte,

I am afraid that I did not make myself clear. First I am not sure what the "spike" is in the sys tray -- my NT4v6 machine surely does not have one. Second, what I want to know is why the Microsoft clipboard icon pops up from my sys tray when I am doing a copy -- even if I am NOT using a Microsoft program.

prof Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Whatever icon you see in the systray is what I was referring to as the "spike" because it holds multiple items copied to the clipboard just like an old fashioned office spike used to hold multiple pieces of paper. The application publisher has nothing to do with it. The clipboard is part of Windows, which is why it pops up when you paste multiple items into the clipboard. In the previous version of Office, it generally didn't pop up unless you have copied multiple items without pasting anything or otherwise clearing the clipboard.
    Charlotte