Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Mail Folder Management (V11.0 Build 8217)

I have turned off Auto Archiving and moved all e-mail back into their original folders under Personal Folders, so outlook.pst is my only mail file at this time. It is 2.7GB in size. I would like to spin off (manually) older files into a new mail folder file, let's call it OLDSTUFF, so that my outlook.pst becomes much smaller, let's just say 500MB.

I would like to know if I can then move oldstuff.pst out of the Outlook folder so that Outlook will no longer see it, and will only have to deal with the much smaller outlook.pst file.

My question is this: can I move the oldstuff.pst file away and then back whenever I want to look at old stuff, and will Outlook recognize it when it's present and not expect it when it's absent?

I am doing this for performance (of Outlook) reasons, knowing I will only need to reintroduce the oldstuff.pst data 4 or 5 times a year.

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 Mail Folder Management (V11.0 Build 8217)

You don't have to move the oldstuff.pst file. Simply close it from within Outlook: right-click its top level and select Close <name> from the popup menu. Whenever you want to work with it again, open it by selecting File | Open | Outlook Data File...

Lounger
    Thanks

WONDERFUL news Hans!!
    Thank you very much,
    Tom

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, this has worked out wonderful for me. My outlook.pst is now 775MB and I keep the others closed, only to open when needed.

As a follow-on, can I now relocate my 3 pst folders to a new place, like in a folder called Outlook Mail within MY DOCUMENTS? I assume so, but wonder if you can point me to the instructions for that.

Thank you,

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can move the .pst files that you only open when necessary to a new location without any problem.

When you move the main .pst file (make sure that Outlook is closed when you do this), Outlook will complain next time you start it, and open a dialog to find the .pst file. It will probably close after that, and when you start Outlook again, it should use the file in its new location.

Lounger
    Thanks

Bingo! Worked first time.

Thank you Hans.

Tom

Thanks

Hi Tom,
    I have found that my management is to roll-over the .pst file every year, I name them Outlook 2007.pst, Outlook 2008.pst
    I do it as close as possible to 1st. January every year, my first file dates back to 1998. It annoys for a little time in that you have to rebuild your folders but it sure makes you clean-up that list.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi E. Thanks for responding. Are you a control freak like me? :-) After taking Hans' advice, I created 3 Outlook Data Files named 2006, 2007, and 2008! Great minds think alike?

Tom

Thanks

Wish I could accept the "Great Minds Tag" at 71 the mind walks around from room to room trying to collect my thoughts.
    I did it because of registered software, you can easily reference the date of the downloaded file to the purchase information in annual pst files.
    The other advantage is that in time the files can be transferred to CD/DVD and only reloaded when required. This is great if you remember where you put the disk.