3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DELL Dimension 2400 Boot

Hi,

My brother gave me a Dell Dimension 2400 to rebuild so he could give it to someone but I cannot, whatever I try, get it to boot form CD or floppy despite the fact that the boot order is set to Floppy --> CD --> HD.

I've looked around the net and I see I'm not the only one who has this problem so ...

1. Does anyone know a way round this? My aim is to put a clean XP build on the system so removing all traces of the old build ... when in Windows the system can see the XP CD fine and ...

2. Why the hell do companies like Dell do this kind of thing (I recently had a similar problem with an Acer Media Centre PC)?

Kyu

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DELL Dimension 2400 Boot

You didn't say what happens when you try! Why don't you change the BIOS to eliminate the floppy and make the boot order CD then HDD? My Dell Dimension 5100 doesn't have a floppy drive built-in and it will boot to CD then HDD.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al,

Well there are no errors ... the system just acts like neither the floppy or the CD are there. Eliminating the floppy (forcing it to last in the boot order list) changes nothing.

My best guess is that it's by manufacturer design to prevent *ordinary* users from trashing the system in some way, as I said I have an Acer MPC that won't boot from its DVD either.

Kyu

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK,

Maybe I'm a numpty, maybe I'm not but I know I've never seen anything like this before in a BIOS ...

Not ONLY do you have to set the boot order as per usual, you have to enable the device for boot (puts a check against the device) ... this isn't something I've seen on any BIOS before.

At least I have the answer so thanks for replying

Kyu