New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Installer (3.1)

I am trying to install E-set sure but after successfully downloading it stops ay the install stage. I get a window headed 'Windows Installer' and a message saying ....could not be accessed..... might be in Safe mode (it isn't) .......not correctly installed (the Eset help guy kindly re installed it - but it hasn't solved the problem)........contact support.
    I've never had a problem installing before and the Eset help guy spent about half an hour trying to sort this out - to no avail . Does any one out there have any suggestions. My skill level is 'moderate' to 'not good'
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Windows Installer (3.1)

Are you saving the download somewhere then initiating the install? Can you post the exact text of the error message?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge!

Make sure that the latest version (4.5) of Windows Installer is installed on your computer.
    This version is installed by update KB942288. To check it, click Start > Control Panel, then "Add or Remove Programs", and check "Show updates" checkbox at the top of the window. Wait until the list will be populated and scroll down to "Windows XP - Software Updates". Look for "Hotfix for Windows XP (KB942288-v3)" (Don't ask me why v.4.5 is listed as v3.)
    If you don't have it on the list, download it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en - the last file at the bottom of the page ("WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe").

Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks , kaplinb, I got part way thro' the installation wizard - then got a panel headed K9942288-v3 Set up error. can't get past it
    Pete

New Lounger
    Thanks

Full erroe message is:
    ---------------------------
    KB942288-v3 Setup Error
    KB942288-v3 Setup could not backup registry key

HKCRCLSID{000C101D-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}DllVersion

to file C:WINDOWS$NtUninstallKB942288-v3$reg00046. 5: Access is denied.

Abort Retry Ignore

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Are you running the install under a limited user account?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not as far as I know, Joe. The laptop has been fine for several years. It recently got the AntivirusXP2008 bug - but thanks to Woody's Lounge that has now gone. Hence I am trying to install a protection system. We had AVG free for quite a while but I tried today to re load that - and it failed - but I have tried to install Firefox and was successful.
    Cheers
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just to clarify, folks.
    I still have the problem. Although I successfully installed Firefox I could not install a Java up-date and still can't install any kind of Security suite. The error message I get is already quoted elsewhere. Sorry to be a pest - but any ideas anyone?
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Apparently you're not the only one experiencing this problem - see Windows installer V3.

One of the participants in that newsgroup thread reported that MSKB article Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP installation or you repair a Windows XP installation helped.