Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ZimmerD

Format cell won't open (Excel 2000)

I cannot open the "format cell" option for some of the cells within an area of a sheet , while other cells on the same sheet in other areas allow the format cell option. If I right click and select format cell, nothing happens. Same behavior from the menu selection. I cannot determine any setting that is different between the cells that allow formatting and those that do not. If I copy the sheet and paste to a new sheet, the problem persists. Also, the area of the cells that do not allow formatting seems to have increased as I continue to work on this sheet (this is a budgeting spreadsheet that I continue to use year to year). Any suggestions on how to enable cell formatting?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format cell won't open (Excel 2000)

When you say nothing happens do you mean Format Cells is grayed out? If so it sounds as those cells are protected.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just in case your file is corrupted (pasted from something I wrote elsewhere):

Open the file. If it has more than one sheet, right-click one of the sheets and hit Select all sheets. Now right-click one of the sheets you

birch.jc@pg.com

Just to let you know that you are not alone... I observed this for the first time last week. I right click on a cell select format cells and the formatting dialogue box will not appear - same from menu. Other cells work!
    Could it be a virus since it has only just happened?

ZimmerD

Good question.

Format cells is not grayed out on the main menu or the righ-click options list. When I select "format cells" in either location, the format cells options windows simply does not appear. The cursor returns to the default mode in the same cell. i.e., "nothing happens" after I ask for the format cells window. It is not presented to me to perform format changes.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Does Ctrl-1 present the format dialog ?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds to me like some kind of corruption in the workbook. If you copy the sheet and paste it into a new workbook, does the format work there? If not, you may have some kind of corruption in Excel itself. You might try going to the Run command on the Start menu and entering the following:

<pre>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /Regserver
    </pre>

Legare Coleman

ZimmerD

No, it does not for the cells where selecting the meu option does not work. But it does present the format dialog in the cells where menu choice does work.

ZimmerD

I tried the copy process offered by Dreamboat and the new book had the same problem.

I followed your suggested with /regserver and it seemed to execute something, but I received no final message so I am uncertain as to what it did. After running it, though, I reran Excel and opened the problematic worksheet and the problem with format cells persisted.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Have you amde sure that the worksheet is not protected ?

What happens if you press Ctrl-A and then Ctrl-1 ?

ZimmerD

I tried the process that you suggested. The new book, once saved, had the same problem with format cells.

By the way, the original spreadsheet file was 74K and the new one was 75K; whereas you indicated an appreciable decrease in size was possible if the file was corrupted.

Since that did not work, I simply marked the ten columns and 200 rows with data and copied then with a simple paste into a new sheet. The format of the new sheet loses many of the borders and other formatting that I have used to structure the presentation of the data; but the format cells option works throughout the new sheet. I would need to recreate all of my formats in the new sheet for this to be useable, but at least I now have that option.

Does this discovery mean that the existing sheet indeed has some form of "corruption"?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Any chance you can post an edited copy of the workbook that has the problem to let us see if we have the problem?
    Legare Coleman

ZimmerD

The cell becomes surrounded by greyed out cells and the format cells option works with either Ctrl-1 and right-click, pick Format cells.

What does that mean? What is Ctrl-A?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ctrl-A should select all cells in the worksheet, the same as clicking on the corner square , where the column and row headings meet.

If you select that and the sheet is protected, Ctrl-1 should produce an error unless no cells are protected.

Try and post a copy of a sheet with the problem as Legare suggested.

Andrew

ZimmerD

I have not mentioned previously that this problem grows as I work with these sheets. I have been developing budgets for a state contract we have to plan for the coming fiscal year. I have attached the first version, where the problem is limited to columns A and B. I will also send the fourth version in the next posting (due to 100k size limit), where the problem has "crept" into new cells that I added to the sheet in columns that previously allowed formatting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast