Thread: Speed Fan

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Speed Fan

Hello and greetings from the great free state of Tennessee,
    While exploring http://filehippo.com/ i found a program called "Speed Fan" . This program monitors your "PC" s power supplies voltages , fan speed, internal chip temps, and hard drive status using "S.M.A.R.T." (self monitoring analysis & reporting technology) This seems to be a very useful program , but i cant seem to get the hard drive reporting status section to work. Has any one any experience with this (S.M.A.R.T.) technology or this program? Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Speed Fan

Whether or not your system will report properly to Speedfan is dependent on the hardware configuration. You should go to SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer and verify that your motherboard and disk drives are supported. There is also a SpeedFan's supported hardware, SpeedFan - FAQ about sensors' readings, fan control and more, & SpeedFan Articles sections.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

>> i cant seem to get the hard drive reporting status section to work. Has any one any experience with this (S.M.A.R.T.) technology <<

First thing to check would be if S.M.A.R.T. is activated in your PC's BIOS. Many PC's do NOT have it activated. When you boot your PC, use whatever key is shown as the one to enter your BIOS (or Setup, or whatever it is called on your PC) and look for the S.M.A.R.T. entry.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe hello,
    I went to the website and checked for my hard disk and mother board, no luck .However all the sensor readings are ok "fan speeds" "voltages" "temps" "charts" etc. (as far as i can tell) Only the "tab" to check the hard drive has no data or drop-downs to select from (just blank) Guess i'll have to do some research on "Speed Fan" Thanks for the Help Regards Plain Fred.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    Hello, and thank you for your input. Question: When you say to "use whatever key" when i boot the "PC" i haven't any idea what you mean?!
    (to access "BIOS") When my "PC" boots the only choices that i know are "F8 (safe mode) and "Acronis F-11" (recovery) I'm running Vista Home Premium SP-1 .Is there another "F" key that your talking about? Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

>> When you say to "use whatever key" when i boot the "PC" i haven't any idea what you mean?! (to access "BIOS") <<

The specific key you need to press differs from one manufacturer to another. When you boot the PC, within a couple seconds you should see onscreen (usually white letters on black background) some message like "Press F1 to enter BIOS", or "Press Escape to enter Setup." If you don't see a black screen, but rather a graphic screen (maybe with the manufacturer's name and/or logo), there is usually some key you can press very quickly to make the graphic screen go away (frequently it is the Escape key). Once you see the first Windows screen, it's too late, and you'll have to shut the PC down and try again. Do a full shutdown, too, not a Restart, as only a full shutdown may give you enough time to find the right onscreen message and press the right key.

Thanks

To add to those suggested keys, Del and F2 are also possibilities.

On an 'unknown' PC, I usually press F1, then F2 then Del then F1 then F2 (and so on...) with about half a second's gap between each just as the keyboard llights go on shortly after power on. For a laptop, you may just need to start a bit earlier.

If you said what make of computer you had, it would be pretty easy to say which is the BIOS/CMOS Setup key -- alternatively, there's always the wonders of Google!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John ,
    Hello, and thanks again . Did as you have suggested, when system "booted" found "F10" and the screen "Phoenix Award BIOS Cmos setup utility "was loaded. However after exploring, only two items presented the "disabled" setting. "Virtualization technology and Boot diagnostic screen" dont have a clue as to what these have to do with S.M.A.R.T. settings. Is this what you were referring to? (my PC" is an HP pavilion a6167c) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

>> Is this what you were referring to? <<

Nope. My Acer Aspire also has a Phoenix-Award BIOS, and in the submenu titled Advanced BIOS Features, there is an entry HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability. That is the kind of thing you are looking for. You may need to contact HP and ask them if your model supports S.M.A.R.T. I'd be surprised if it didn't, because my employer bought a lot of HP/Compaq's years ago (before I retired) and they all had that ability. Actually had a PC report a pending HDD failure once. Of course, the staff at that location never bothered telling me it was showing that warning for several months <grin>.