5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook.pst is not a pst file (2003 SP3)

I want to import my wife's calendar to my computer, which I have done many times on our home network. This time I get the message that the target file (whose path is the default for the import) "is not a pst file". It sure is, and it is alive and well on her computer. I have tried the import with her Outlook both open and closed, same result. I've searched this forum, but all the threads deal with folks who can't get Outlook to open at all. She is using WinXP SP3, I'm using Vista.
    HH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook.pst is not a pst file (2003 SP3)

Try the following:
    - Make sure that the .pst file is not in use (Outlook is closed)
    - Make a copy of the .pst file.
    - Run the Inbox Repair Tool on the copy - see How to find and run the Inbox Repair tool in Outlook.
    - Try to import from the repaired copy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. Worked like a charm. Interesting that the Import function found the corruption in Outlook.pst. It was behaving a little flakey on wife's PC, but not really serious. Guess we got an early warning. I'll make more frequent ust of the Repair Tool in the future.
    HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook can sure be a pain in the neck. After using the Inbox Repair Tool Outlook worked for a day or so, then choked again. I repeated the process with the repair toool, but this time no luck, even though it corrected a bunch of errors. So I tried what worked on other occasions (without using the repair tool) I rebooted and Outlook started up OK. It appears that this pst file is prone to corruption. Should I consider creating a new pst file and trying to import my Mail, Contacts and Calendar into the new one? That approach seems complicated. Will the corruption travel with the imported folders?
    HH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd create a new .pst file, and open it in Outlook. Copy all items from all folders from the old .pst to the new one.
    Then specify the new one as delivery location, and close the old one.