3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Run script to block update downloads (Home Premum)

I've just started out using a USB mobile broadband dongle so that I can get internet access over the mobile phone network on a pay as you go basis. The way the PAYG works is that a 10 voucher gives up to 1Gb of data transfer for up to 30 days. Since we're going to be away from home a few times this month it seemed like a better approach than paying hotel or cafe prices for access.

Since we're restricted to 1Gb per month, it would be very useful if there was a way that I could block the auto downoads, particularly for Windows updates while I'm away from home. Is there a script that I could set up to switch off auto-updates at the same time as starting the 'connect to mobile broadband' program?

Thanks

Re: Run script to block update downloads (Home Premum)

Can't you simply use the "change settings" option of Windows Update (from the Control Panel) to indicate "never check for updates" while you are away from home? I don't think you would want to completely shut off updates from your anti-virus program would you? Most other applications will notify you whether or not an update is available but they give you the choice of downloading and installing.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,
    I could do that, but it won't always be me who starts using the laptop when we're away and I would like to combine the 'stop updates' and 'start connection' commands on the same shortcut, so that it happens for everyone.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Add Windows Update to your firewall and block it from having internet access!

I think it is wuauclt1.exe in the system32 folder

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.