3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightning strike

We had a tree about a 100 feet from our house get hit by lightning. It was on our property and I have a number of outbuildings with power and data lines going underground between the buildings.

The lightning came into my wife's computer through the Cat5 network cable that ran underground between 2 of the buldings. It appears to have fried the M/B but the hdd survived intact. The wireless router works on wireless but on on hardwired network cables.

I have built a new system and would like to use the original hdd in conjunction with the new M/B, memory and video card, with all other components also being reused. Obviously this will save me from having to reload Windows XP Home and reinstall all programs.

I know it's a stretch to hope to have Windows find and install all the drivers for the different MB, but I did make it happen once on W98 or 2000 so thought I'd give it a try on XP Home.

The dead M/B was a P4 3.4 system and the new board is a Core Duo system. Both boards are by Gigabyte.

I'm at the point where the system will start in Safe Mode but not a standard boot. All drivers for the new M/B and video card seem to have installed from the CDs with the hardware wizard during the initial boot up. The only thing I've hooked up internally are the CPU, video card, memory, front panel terminals, CD through the IDE connector and the HDD through the SATA connector. ALL THIS WORKS FINE in safe mode.

However, even though the CD drive works, when I tried to run the M/B and video card CDs from Safe Mode they open but the install programs don't run. As such I just let Windows find the hardware during boot up and load the drivers from the CDs. This worked fine for these and and all the drivers except one "? PCI" item as can be seen in Control Panel, Hardware, Device Driver.

I tried using msconfig and doing the following with no success:

1. turned off ALL items listed in startup
    2. turned off ALL items in services
    3. tried all options under boot.ini
    3. used boot.ini with bootlog to the following results:

Perhaps the bootlog file has info that will help but it's a bit over my head. These are the results of that:

The last thing it lists as LOADED is agp440.sys.
    The first thing it lists as NOT LOADED is ACPI multiprocessor pc

I don't know if it's an issue but higher up in the list it says the ACPI.sys is loaded.

Also, I have GoBack on this hard drive and it loads successfully whether I boot in Safe Mode or standard mode.

The failure to boot in standard mode occurs about 1 second after the Windows XP Home logo comes on screen. It goes to blue screen for a fraction of a second, too short a time to see what the 10 or so lines of text say.

The first thing that comes to my mind is perhaps a video driver error, but the screen resolution appears fine.....19" Dell.

If there is anything else I need to identify here let me know.

I'd like to do retain this old HDD in order to save my wife from having to reload all her programs from scratch. The HDD survived the lightning so I hoped I could just use it "as is" with the new M/B drivers etc. But at some point I have to say enough is enough time wise and do the new install on a fresh HDD.

Thanks,
    BH

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lightning strike

Hi,

I am afraid you cannot succeed as the hall.dll is diffrent from single core vs dual core processors . You also need to take in account that the chipset of the 2 boards will be different.
    Perhaps you have already left the idea of proceeding that way.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lightning strike

Thanks. Yep..........built up a new drive from scratch.

BH