Thread: back up bios?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

back up bios?

My Toshiba laptop running vista home premium occassionaly crashes for no reason and after much searching of forums and official Toshiba sites it seems a bios update has been released to cure this problem. My question is although fairly self explainetry about downloading and saving then running the new bios version (flash the bios) would it be possible to somehow save the original bios so that if things went wrong I could get the system back again. From my searches it seems you need special software to make a floppy disc to do this and I'm a bit nervous of messing with the bios anyway.

Thanks

Re: back up bios?

I'm not sure about Toshiba, but I know that Dell provides the most recent as well as several older BIOS files for most of their machines. Might be worth asking Toshiba support about their policy. As well, Dell (for the most part) supplies 2 versions of their BIOS flash files - one which is run within the Windows environment and one which is run from a floppy. Again, an inquiry to Toshiba support would clarify this.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

You might care to start here...

The Dell BIOS updates can be done from within Windows, and I've never had any trouble with them. The process is extremely straightforward, and a long way from the nail-biting event of years past.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks

Gigabyte gives you an automatic copy of the old BIOS after you flash the BIOS. Not sure about Toshiba though.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks BAT, I've already "started from there" and have the new BIOS ready to go. It does update from within windows but I'm just lacking the courage to do it without some sort of fail safe back up should things go pear shape! I'll give it a go when I'm certain I've backed up any documents on the Toshiba that are really important, thanks everyone for the replies

Thanks

The more worried you are about it not working, the more you should have a complete image backup of the laptop, restorable from its own boot, right over the hard disk. Perhaps also check what is your current version of the BIOS, and see if that's also available in a bootable format, from diskette, CD or bootable USB Flash Drive.

And make Very Sure you are running on mains power, not battery, and that nothing is going to pull out the plug(s) (cats, dogs, children, etc) while you are flashing the BIOS! It takes less than a couple of minutes (Dell Optiplex PC example).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...