5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chart formatting (Excel 2003)

I have a data series in the 8-digit size range, however I would like to have the data points on the chart itself shown without the final 3 digts, so 10,456,758 shows 10,456. Possible?
    Also, since our fiscal year is 2/28, I'd like to insert a vertical line on the chart for that month, to visually show the end of one fiscal year and the beginning of the next. Possible? thanks.

Thanks

Re: Chart formatting (Excel 2003)

If you are using data labels, Format the data labels as (no quotes) "#,##0," (though it will be rounded, not truncated to 10,457)

To add the vertical line will depend on the type of chart. Do you have sample to work with?

Steve
    PS
    I presume you want to add the line as a chart series to adjust when the x-Axis changess. If not you can just add a line using the drawing toolbar...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's a line graph wiht the month on the x axis and an amount on the Y axis. I'd like the 2/28 mark to have the vertical line. Will do a dummy if you need one. Thanks.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by sdckapr on 26-Aug-08 10:45. Added example)</P>I don't need one, but it will get you an answer more quickly and more detailed to your setup instead of me having to create one to how I might do it...

Steve

PS I had some time and created an example with a line chart with the format you asked for.
    I also created an XY chart which makes adding the line easier and does not require "breaking into" the data. I also used with this a different format (#.0,,"M") which would display 10,456,758 as "10.5M" instead of "10,457", though setting the X-axis ranges and major/minor units are easier with the line chart as it works with months and years instead of days...

There are other techniques as well....
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The formatting solution worked perfectly. Am having trouble duplicating the line solution on the XY graph I have. My months are in a row, below each the data series with lables in column A. When I tried to create another row with one 2000000 figure for 2/28, I got a tent-shaped line series, running 0s along the x axis but creating a tent-shaped line where your vertical line is. I am not sure if that's a scaling issue or what. Thanks for your help. We'll use the drawing toolbar for today's stuff and work on that issue later.

Thanks

Whether you use the XY or the Line chart, the line you create requires 2 points: a minimum and a maximum (I used 0 and 200,000), though the range is unimportant as long as they exceed the limits of Y-range you are plotting.

In the line chart, the 2 are inserted within your data X-range (which I don't really like), but in the XY they can be anywhere...

I am not clear from you description of how your data is setup. If you plot an example (it can be made up data as mine was) I could comment directly on it...

Steve