3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Documents and Settings (Home Premium)

I'm trying to install some *.xmp files which are presets for use in Adobe Camera Raw (Photoshop). the instructions are to put them in: Cocuments and SettingsYour Compute]AdobeCamera RAWSettings. But I cannot open Documents and Settings. (It shows up in "Computer" with a little arrow icon. I get an "Access Denied" message. (The Folder does show up, as I've unchecked under Folder Options the Hide...etc Also under DesktopKeithApp Data there is a ...Local AdobeCamera Raw, but no Settings folder.

kdoc

Thanks

Re: Documents and Settings (Home Premium)

Try looking in C:UsersKeithAppDataRoamingAdobeCameraRawSettings.. . at least that is where my settings are. The folder in my case is empty.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

In Vista "Documents and Settings" is just a shortcut for legacy programs. It points to C:Usersuser-name. So, you most likely want C:Usersuser-nameAppDataLocalAdobe...

NOTE: in the previous path LOCAL could also be LOCALLOW or ROAMING depending on the application. To be sure you should check the Adobe support site. Or maybe some other Lounger will know for sure.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Paul and Joe: As usual, you guys nailed it. I feel a bit stupid: I was sniffing all around it, but just missed finding the right "path." Thanks

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

No need to feel stupid. There is nothing wrong in not knowing. The only bad thing about ignorance is not trying to fix it through learning which you did. We're just glad to help a bit.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Thanks for posting back. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to Photoshop... what are "presets" for Camera Raw?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't know they existed until I read an article: They are preset settings on Adobe Camera Raw to give a particular look.--like black and white, contrasty, 'sin city", looks etc. Having now seen them, I don't particularly recommend them: it's more important to learn to work ACR--it's terrific. But the presets might be "instructional" to you, in that you can see how the presets were made--ie, which sliders were adjusted. You have to be a NAPP member (Natl assoc of photoshop professionals) to watch the tutorial on them. Anyway--I'd say, now that I've looked at them, don't bother--instead spend your time learning ACR and Photoshop. Go to Borders and browse through the various books on the subject--or perhaps the best way is getting Julienne Kost's 3 set DVD from Software Cinema.

kdoc