Thanks

Totally confused now

Last weekend I ran Windows Back up and backed up my entire HD to my external HD. I now want to continue this on a more regular basis. My question is this: Should I continue to backup the entire HD and delete the previous one, or should I continue using the original back up and only back up the things that have changed (incremental?). Or something else.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Totally confused now

When we last talked about this topic in <post:=718,782>post 718,782</post:> you were looking at other 3rd party products that most of us use. Did you decide not to use one and stick with native Windows instead? If so, I wish you continued good luck and exercise great care. If you do any reading at all you'll find that most folks don't trust the backup utilities supplied by Windows, going back quite some time. For one thing, there's (usually) no legacy or cross-version consistency.

As to incremental backup, most people choose a "cycle" (day, week, month, whatever) and do a full backup at the beginning of that cycle and incrementals at chosen periods in between. The choices are yours. Mine, using Shadow Protect is a full backup on Saturday and "middle of the night" scheduled incrementals on the other six days. The following week, I use a different USB drive.

Thanks

Re: Totally confused now

"most people choose a "cycle" (day, week, month, whatever) and do a full backup at the beginning of that cycle and incrementals at chosen periods in between. "
    thanks Al that was what I was looking for.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)