New Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer enhancement?

Would anyone else consider the following an enhancement?

Currently I am working with a system that automatically creates a suite of 15 sub folders for every new project (eg Meeting Minutes, Testing, Design). I seem to often be given the task to forage for documentation from a particular project. Unfortunately different people seem to have differing views on which subfolder is the most appropriate for their document placement (not to mention creating their own subfolders within the standard subfolders). This can make any search a rather mind-numbing task.

Of course I realise that using the inbuilt search function is an alternative but I have recently thought that a nice Explorer option might be to indicate, perhaps by colour, those folders that have been populated in any way. This could also make it easier if you were wanting to cull superfluous folders without having to go into each one to make sure that it was empty.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer enhancement?

Hi
    I do it by hand. Using a freebie called ChangeIcon, you can alter the default yellow rectangle for any folder. For a long route through several sub-folders you use the same colour (or theme). Thus 'blues' may take you to your Invoices, 'tartans' to Scottish correspondence and so on. Of course, you'll need to get a set of icons that give you this capability. I don't know if this would be suitable for your project, but it sure speeds up burrowing.
    ChangeIcon and icon collections are available from my freeware site below.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link - I intend to have a play with this and other items there.

There wouldn't be a way however to be sure that a folder that you have marked as empty has not been populated by someone else since the last time you were in the area? Or is there?

I suppose I was after a simple "Don't bother going in here because its empty anyway" solution.

Your freebie certainly sounds very useful for my own documents but how would that apply to a corporate folder structure that is being accessed by many?

Thanks again.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Personally, on a corporate system, I wouldn't do anything remotely experimental. If, however, you have Admin privileges, changing folder icons on the server should be an easy thing to do, and would be viewable by all users. I don't advise it, though.

Rgds

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This looks like it might serve my purposes but I wondered as an alternative...

I know you can display folder names on compressed drives in blue rather than black so is there is a way of changing just the font colour of individual folder names, rather than altering the folder icon itself?

This seems preferable to me as by changing the folder icon you lose the trivial effect of the folder 'opening' when it is selected.

stuck
    PS the links on MerC's site to ChangeIcon and associated files are dead but a google search found alternative sources v. quickly