2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word : How to do Numbered paragraphs wrt Heading

Hi all,

RE: Word: How to do Numbered paragraphs

I have a client who wants to implement Numbered paragraphs in a Word 2007 template.

The Numbered paragraphs are text paragraphs numbered according to the level heading. (These are as is done for requirements etc)  They means they want to be able to add hierarchical numbering to basic paragraphs that will follow the numbering from the Headings, i.e. if they have a paragraph under heading 2 (e.g., section 2.3) then they want to add numbering so that the paragraphs will be numbered starting with 2.3.1 and then 2.3.1.1.

-----------

I am going to suggest a solution and then negate it.

Well, look, what could be simply done is to use the rest of the outline style levels, if they exist ...

I.e., I mean, let's say they use 4 levels of Headings
    (Heading 1 .. Heading 4) and one Appendix level (which we could make Heading 9), then we could use
    Heading 5 until Heading 8 for the paragraph styles. Ie they won't be headings, they will be paragraphs, and we will just demote the Outline Level from 5/6/7 or 8, to Body Text.

But we can't do this, since Word 2003 doesn't let you demote the Outline Level styles from 5/6/7 or 8 to Body Text. So not practical.

Further, I only know up to Word 2003. Would Word 2007 offer an easier way to do this?

------

So I would say that we could define a new Outline numbered style, from Level 1 to 9, and use those for the Heading Levels (1 to 3, e.g.) and then some of the rest would be for the paragraph numbering.

Problem is ... custom Outline numbered styling is a lot more unstable than the system default used for Heading 1 .. 9.

And Word 2007 is no more stable, I understand.

Here is a VBA method:

The first VBA thought that comes to my mind is to use VBA to insert a styleref field like this

{ STYLEREF "Heading 2" w }

and use VBA to build and append SEQ fields on the right according to the required list item number and depth. In fact I already once programmed a VBA add-in utility that uses SEQ fields and makes them act just like Word's autolisting works (ie the way Word was so *supposed* to work... i.e., actually *work*) and so I could adapt all that code (and there is a lot of code there) to solve that problem.

Is there an easier way?

Tia

avi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word : How to do Numbered paragraphs wrt Heading

You could still use heading styles and simply modify them to look like body text.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

yes , but note that, as I already pointd out, we can't do this, since Word 2003 doesn't let you demote the Outline Level styles from 5/6/7 or 8 to Body Text. So this is not practical. This is not practical since the all the heading levels (which we want to use as paragraph text) will show up in the Document Map, and I for one can't live without the Document Map.

Maybe it would be easier to program in new version of Document Map that allows you to select which levels you want to see... :-)

Just had an idea: maybe using VBA you can demote Heading styles down to Body Text instead of their actual levels. I doubt it. Will have to check.

- avi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I detest Document Map since it changes the outline level of paragraphs without notice. So I will never use it.

Although Word doesn't display an error message if you try to set the outline level for a heading style to Body Text in VBA, it doesn't apply the change.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

I haven't tried this but wonder if it might work: Start out with an outline list (or multilevel) that uses headings. Then reassign levels 5 to 8 to body text or to a series or styles at the body text outline level. If you are using W2007, I would make this a list style so you can modify the setting without creating a new list each time. I tnihk you can dothe same thing with list templates in W20003.

PamC
    Pam Caswell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And you mean that levels 1 to 3 or 4 should be the headings.
    Right, that was my suggestion #2, so maybe great minds think alike.

Thanks!

- avi