Super Moderator
    Thanks

EndNote and Mail Merge (2003)

Last week I installed the bibliographical program EndNote and I found that my automated merges from Access had all stopped working. An instance of WinWord is created, but does not become visible. If I try a second time I get the following error.

I was only using EndNote to test exporting data from Access, so I removed it, then reinstalled with a custom installation that did not include any of the Word templates, and all is now OK. The standard installation includes a big collection of templates, and some macros that go with them.

But now a client of mine has reported the same problem (and luckily I know what is going on, and she does not actually need EndNote) , but I can see it happening again , so I am wondering if anyone has any experience of this issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Thanks

Re: EndNote and Mail Merge (2003)

"Something" is happening that changes the template. This could be driven by the template itself, for example, refreshing menu or toolbar modifications.

Here's a theory: If you created a second session of Word using CreateObject then the template might be open in two sessions and locked against changes for that reason. You could try to work around this by using GetObject and falling back to CreateObject if GetObject fails. There is an example of this in <post:=446288>post 446288</post:>.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for those thoughts.

I have a mailmerge module that I include in any database that uses merges (and even some that don't - just in case). Here is a bit. This is part of a function, to which I pass the name of the query and the name of the merge document.
    Edited immediately after posting
    I have just seen the typo in what I have posted, I have Appliction rather than Application,in the first line of code.This explain why GetObject does not work I suppose, but I am not sure it solves the underlying problem.

Set appWord = GetObject(, "Word.Appliction")
    appWord.Visible = True
    appWord.Documents.Open strWordDoc
    With appWord
    .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:=strdbName, LinkToSource:=True, Connection:=strquery, SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000
    .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
    .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.Execute
    .Documents(strWordDoc).Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
    End With

<UL><LI>I do use GetObject, but it still throws error 429 that leads to a new instance of Word even when it is running.
    <LI>I don't think there is anything there that tries to change the template.
    <LI>I am not trying to use any of the EndNote templates. This behaviour is occurring in lots of databases, where the merge documents have existed for years (in some cases).[/list]John
    Regards
    John

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 27-Aug-08 14:06. )</P>Unfortunately, it has never been very easy to figure out what has been changed when Word prompts to save changes to a template. Besides the obvious -- toolbars, AutoText, macros -- there can be changes to styles, if the styles are set to update the template.

Added:
    <hr>I am not trying to use any of the EndNote templates.<hr>
    Is it globally loaded as an add-in? Assuming it is not in the WordStartup folder, you could try unloading it after you start Word in your macro.