5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

REF field switch (Word XP SP3)

I've always had success with REF field using n switch for the "entire paragraph number" of the bookmarked paragraph.

In a legal document where, for example, there are 5 counts, I want the summary count, SIXTH COUNT, to reference the previous paragraph, FIFTH COUNT. In the paragraph numbered fifth count, there's a bookmark "LastCount". {REF LastCount n} has until recently given the result FIFTH COUNT. This has functioned as expected through version 10.6612.6626. After applying recent updates (version is now 10.6835.6830) the REF field results in the word COUNT alone, without FIFTH. A document created in the older version is correct, but when opened in the later version and updated, it loses the number (retaining the rest of the Number Format).

I'd be less surprised to see FIFTH on its own than to see COUNT on its own. I doubt that this is an intended change in the functionality of the n switch. What should I expect from the r switch?

Thanks,
    Richard

I've substituted r, "number of paragraph in relative context", and that functions as expected... but I'm not quite sure what r is meant to provide. (FIFTH COUNT, above ???) The same document in Word 2003 and Word 2007 behaves as I would expect.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: REF field switch (Word XP SP3)

Could you attach a small sample document?

BTW, I have version 10.6846.6839

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I've attached a sample document. In the paragraph numbered FIFTH COUNT, the field code has n. On the later build, the result for this field is COUNT. I've added an additional field with r. This field gives the expected result: FOURTH COUNT.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can confirm that the field with n works OK in Word 2003 SP3 (after updating).
    I'll test it in Word 2002 later on (other computer), and let you know the result.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. 2003 and 2007 are OK. It's just the recent versions of 2002.

Can you tell me what the r switch is meant to do?

Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've tested in Word 2002 SP3 (fully updated). The problem that you mention does indeed occur: the field with the n switch displays Count, i.e. it omits Fourth.

Apparently this is a bug introduced in a recent update. I can't find any mention of it in the newsgroups yet. You might contact Microsoft to inform them of this problem, they might repair it in a future update (although it's more likely they'll say that you should upgrade to Word 2007).

The r switch is supposed to display the full paragraph number "in relative context - or relative to its position in the numbering scheme", whatever that may mean (I don't know).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just had a closer look at this, as I was wondering about the scope of the bug. It seems to occur only with number formats that display as text. Cardinal and ordinal text (One, Two, Three and First, Second, Third) are problematic, but 1st, 2nd, 3rd is not.

With my example, COUNT A and 1st Count functioned as expected. Both FIRST COUNT and COUNT THE FIRST were problematic. The bug seems to occur only when the number is "translated" to text. Interesting.

Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're correct, it's limited to the text formats. And it acts the same way in Dutch and in English. It's probably a very small thing - something like one line of code that accidentally got commented out or so...