2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Huge unasked for update

My computer is now running a great big update, without my asking and without telling me what it is. The file running, according to the Task Manager, is update.exe and it is taking a very big chunk of processor time and running the hard drive constantly. This has been going on for several minutes now. I'm running XP, SP2.

I had updates set to download, but let me decide when to install. What is happening? this update is HUGE. Is it SP3? I'd think that if a file is just being downloaded, there would be no need to run the hard drive for minutes at a time.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Huge unasked for update

SP3 is very large (300 MB or so), so downloading it will take some time, and generate a lot of hard disk activity.

BTW I prefer the setting "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them". I can then download and install them at a time that is convenient to me. (I let Windows XP SP3 download and install at a time I didn't need my PC for other things).

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

This article is one of many amongst the supertech population which describes the fact that you cannot really turn Windows Update off it continues to push files to you, like it or not. Although this article speaks only to updating the update executable, there are other articles I have seen recently. I wish I'd not deleted one in particular before this thread arose, because (entitled approximately ''windows updates you like it or not") it talked about using the same setting that Hans does (which is my preferred setting as well) being essentially meaningless, as some updates are being pushed to you without your knowledge.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1189

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To say that it's essentially meaningless is rather strong. I've never seen a Windows or Office update being installed on my PC without my explicit permission except for the updates to Microsoft Update itself. Even the notorious WGA updates aren't installed if you don't want them.

One or two years ago there was some commotion when PCs on large corporate networks installed updates through WSUS "spontaneously". It turned out that the network admins had, in fact, given permission for that, even if they probably hadn't realized they did so.

More info here: You'll get a new Windows Update, like it or not | WindowsSecrets.com.