New Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstallation (Vista)

I want to start from scratch with my computer. I want to delete everything and reinstall vista and other stuff. my bro messed up on my computer and I can't make it work properly.

So how do how delete everything???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Reinstallation (Vista)

It would help if you provided the Make and Model, and type of media that you have to reinstall the OS?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge.

AS Dave said, a lot depends on if your system is an OEM type like Dell or HP or if it is a custom build.
    An OEM machine will usually have a Restore CD where you can run it and it will be like it was originally configured.
    A custom, with a Vista DVD can be just drive formatted and a clean install done over the fresh hard drive.

Post back and we can give you better details.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

My computer is a laptop, a Dell. I have all the cds. Someone told me to put the vista (prenium) cd in and run the install and everything will be erased. but I'm not really sure it will erase everything.

When I was younger, I used to do del *.* to delete everything on dos. Now with windows, I "lost it", is there any way to do something similar to that!!!!!

My hard drive is a mess, and I just want to start from scratch to reinstall correctly everything and in a way that I will find my things faster and better. (I was thinking about partitions, one for my OS, one for the recovery, one for the data (musics, pics...) and maybe one for the rest (office, firefox, anti-virus......)

So I don't know if it will help you to help me????

thanks!!!

Thanks

Since it's a Dell, are you SURE that you have a MICROSOFT VISTA DVD or....a Dell CD WITH VISTA on it?
    A BIG difference there. An MS disk will not have any mention of Dell on it.

Go to START and click "Computer". How many drive partitions are listed there? Dell will usually have a smaller partition that is their "recovery partition". I don't have a Dell or HP so I can't give you specifics about this but maybe another Lounger that HAS a Dell can pop in here and advise.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

First of all let me say that I don't think you'll be able to accomplish your partitioning desires as part of a "complete fresh start" and you might have a simpler time if you worry about all of that later. Secondly, my Dell is now a couple of years old and I bought it with XP and have this year added Vista on a second drive. BUT, I'm attaching a screenshot of My Computer, Manage, Disk Management from the XP OS so you can see that a "normal" Dell installation should show two additional partitions, boxed in red, that are for recovery and diagnostic tools. You can check to see what yours looks like. As you can see from my screenshot, my Vista is installed on the additional drive.

Having said all of that, since you're WANTING to start from scratch, wipe the machine and re-install, I would think that you should be able to do that whether you have a Microsoft OR a Dell CD (DVD) by just BOOTING the machine with that CD/DVD and following the prompts for a new, fresh, clean install. At least it's worth a look and if you don't feel comfortable with what you see when you do so, you can always shut the machine off and don't go any further. If it's a Dell disc, it should lead you by the hand for a factory fresh "recovery" and if it's a Microsoft branded disc, it should also tell you what to do to format the drive and start from scratch.

Now I admit I haven't yet been where you are, but as I said, you can always stop and turn off the machine and not go any further.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Please post what particular Dell laptop model it is, how old it is, and what current operating system you are using. Also, have you ever reinstalled the operating system? If it is a recent model, you may have a utility that restores your computer to "factory shipped" condition.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions