Star Lounger
    Thanks

Time Sheet (Word 2003)

I've created a timesheet table with various fields for daily entries. Each day of the week is a column. Each client is in a row. We log our overtime daily (i.e., Monday - 5:00 pm - 12:00 am). There may be several entries for each daily column depending on how many clients we are billing our time to. How can I enter the time so that I can get a daily total automatically for each day of the week? What I'm doing now is entering the time, calculating each day's time manually and updating the grand total field (right click - update field) from those entries. I'd rather not have to do 0-2400 hours in the entry (unless my user can type 1pm and the program recalculates it for them without them knowing it).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Time Sheet (Word 2003)

I'd use Excel instead of Word for this - it is much easier to perform time calculations in Excel than in Word.

Thanks

Word can handle the math if you enter it in decimal increments of an hour, such as tenths. For example, place an =SUM(ABOVE) field in the cell at the bottom of the column and update it using F9.

However, if the users are recording the actual start and stop time in the table, or displaying durations in hh:mm format, you would need to do your calculations in code and insert them into the bottom cell programmatically. Date/time calculations can be tricky, so you would need some degree of confidence that users are entering times in a standard way.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Dea

Although you could do this in Word, without even having to use any vba, I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you're wedded to using Word, check out my Date Calc 'tutorial' in <post#=249902>post 249902</post#>
    In particular, look at the item titled 'Add Or Subtract Two Time Periods'. Do read the document's introductory material, and note that:
    . this will only work dynamically if you set the document up as a form, with protection for forms; and
    . you'll need to use different bookmarks names for each time-period pair.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]