5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Time displayed (2003)

Dear Woody’s Lounge:

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and am having some issues with the times that are displayed.

When I set my computer’s clock to Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5, which is my current time), the time displayed for the receipt of all of my emails is correct, but the time displayed for all of my Calendar appointments is 6 hours early.

If I switch my time zone ahead 6 hours to GMT +1, then all of my Calendar appointments are displayed under the right time, but the time of receipt of all of my emails is showing up as 6 hours late.

I think that this is the problem:
    I have been using Outlook while living in Europe for the last few months, so Outlook got used to recognizing all of my emails’ receipt times as being under GMT +1. However, I recently got back to the States, and while in EST (GMT -5), I imported all of my appointments from Palm Datebook to Outlook Calendar. So my theory is that Outlook is showing all of the calendar dates as the equivalent local time of what would have been the local time in GMT +1. For example, a 5 pm appointment in Europe is showing up as a 11 am appointment in EST, but I want it to show up as 5 pm.

Is there a way to move all of my appointments back 6 hours in Outlook’s calendar without causing the receipt times of all of my emails to also shift back 6 hours?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Time displayed (2003)

The way Outlook handles time zones and appointments is problematic. See Outlook, Appointments and Time Zones.

You can use the procedure described there in the section "Fix Appointment Times", or the free utility Microsoft Office Outlook Tool: Time Zone Data Update Tool for Microsoft Office Outlook.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,

I downloaded the tool, but I am not sure what exactly it does. I just changed the time zone on my computer again to GMT +1 and all of my appointments were pushed back 6 hours.

The problem apparently doesn't occur when I just set my clock 6 hours later without changing the time zone (just leaving it at EST with the wrong time showing). That is what I think I will do.

I tried using the dual time zone feature to solve the problem, but the view that's created is somewhat confusing.

I guess I could manually go ahead and set all of my appointments 6 hours earlier if I decide to keep the clock on GMT + 1.

Any other suggestions?

JMT

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Pardon me for checking on a couple of things - when you are changing the computer's system time, are you also changing the time zone in Outlook under the Tools | Options | Calendar Options | Time Zone dialog to match? Did you also reset the Palm/PDA time at the same time? Have you reset the Palm time to see if your meetings in the Palm are correct, and if they are, have you tried synching only the Calendar in the mode where the PDA overrides the Desktop?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS