Thread: AMD vs. Intel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AMD vs. Intel

Got a friend who's thinking about buying a new desktop PC. I saw an Acer Aspire this week that I thought he might like. He found a Compaq Presario at Circuit City, and asked me how they compared. The Acer has an Intel Pentium Dual Core processor E2160, 1.80Ghz.. The Compaq has an AMD Athlon X2 4200 Dual-Core processor, 2.2Ghz. Are these directly comparable on processor speed, or is there some difference between AMD and Intel processors that makes such a comparison invalid?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: AMD vs. Intel

A CPU speed comparison has never been valid. That was a huge sore point for many years for AMD as their CPUs were consistently slower in clock speed but many times outperformed Intel CPUs they were marketed against. If you want to do some reading see links at amd intel chip comparison - Google Search.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: AMD vs. Intel

Hi John,

Take a trip to Tom's hardware Guide:http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/proce...-max-9,369.html. There you'll find a comprehensive set of test reults. Do bear in mind, though, that raw CPU performance is only part of the picture. Tow other key players that are often overlooked are video and HDD performance. The best CPU in the world can be dragged to its knees if these components aren't up to scratch. Then there's the questions of OS, drivers other peripherals and as significant as anything else the applications that'll be run - different hardware & OS configurations can impact application performance quite a lot.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]