Star Lounger
    Thanks

Check Box (2003)

Good evening. I am attempting to add check (or 'X") boxes to a Word document that will accommodate either hand writing or auto-insertion of a character via a field code. The goal is as follows:

If the designated field in the source program is selected, an "X" will appear on the Word document inside the box, which corresponds to an item on a list.. If said field is not selected, an empty box image will remain next to the item. Here is an example of the desired format:

I/We will use an attorney selected by the Licensee.

I/We choose to use the following attorney:

(I have attached a document with the same example, since the formatting - the boxes - is not accurately represented in the post text.)

I can make the "X" populate where the field code is placed, and I can create an empty box image by inserting a box image bullet.

What I am unable to do is insert or create a box that will allow a character (the "X") to autopopulate within it, yet remain extant (as an empty box) if no character populates it.

I can surround the field code with a border, which will more or less create the box effect as long as data populates the code space. But when no data populates the code space, the box image is not generated.

Is there a tool in Word that enables the insertion of a "flexible" check box, that will remain static, and allow for either autopopulation of filling by hand?

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Check Box (2003)

There are two types of checkboxes that you could use for this task. The one I recommend is in the Forms Toolbar and requires the document to be protected for forms in order to work. This protection means that you can't type into the document - just complete the available fields. You can turn the protection on or off anytime if you don't put a password on the protection type.

If you need to type into the document proper when the protection is turned on, you will need to add section breaks and just protect the section which contains the fields you want to use. You can find out more about this if you do a search for "protect section form fields" on this forum.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew -

Thank you for your suggestion. The check box you referred to does not seem to allow the insertion of a field code within it while in the editing mode, which is necessary to accomplish the desired goal. Is there a way to insert a code into the box in the edit mode, so that when viewed or printed by the user, the box will be popul;ated by the code data?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -

There does not seem to be an attachment to your post.

I inserted a check box from the Control Toolbox. It, like the one from the Forms Toolbar, will not allow insertion of a field code within it. Is there some setting that must be selected, or might there be a different type of check box that could be used?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Assuming that you want the options to be exclusive, you can use radio buttons from the Control Toolbox, or check boxes from the Forms toolbar with some VBA code.

See the attached document, it contains samples of both.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oops, sorry, I did indeed omit the attachment, I have corrected it now.

You don't have to insert a field code inside the check box, you can simply click it (after turning off design mode).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, for the application at hand, I do need to use field codes. The attorney selection text was just an example. The actual document with which I am working will indicate that certain other documents are required disclosures, based on the selection of specific fields within the source program. I should have used the actual text in my original post.
    I have attached a document with the actual list. Some of the items on the list would be automatically selected via field codes. I would like for the items that are not selected to retain the check box next to them, to be available for manual (hand) marking. So I need to be able to insert field codes into the check boxes, but also have the (empty) check boxes appear if no data populates the field code they contain.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I can tell, the document is the same as the one you attached before...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My oops. Here is the revised version.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -

Try this one. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can't insert field codes in check boxes; you could use VBA code to set or clear check boxes as needed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I may have to just parenthesize the field codes, though any list item not selected in the source program will have a somewhat odd looking empty set of parentheses next to it. Not a catastrophe. Thank you, as always.

Kevin