5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Style (Word 2007)

I've noticed the that Word 2007 New Style button functions in one fashion when selected from the Styles task pane and in another way when selected from the Style Inspector pane. When New Style is selected from the Styles task pane, the new style is created and applied to the current paragraph. When New Style is selected from the Style Inspector pane, the new style is created, but not applied. (This latter is consistent with previous versions of Word, I believe.)

Is this by design? What reason would there be for the different behavior? I'm thinking about this in terms of explaining to users who will be sufficiently confused without such inconsistencies.

Thanks,
    Richard

Thanks

Re: New Style (Word 2007)

I've always been puzzled why creating a new style in the Styles Task Pane in Word 2003 does not immediately apply the style. The inconsistency you describe makes me think they "fixed" the task pane but left the old behavior unchanged in the other interface. Confusing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Style (Word 2007)

Interesting. I prefer that the style NOT be applied. When creating a new document, I generally create all of the user-defined styles that I'll need in one go.. Each one is applied to the current paragraph, replacing the previous style. That's not such a horrible problem.... BUT, each style is based on the previous style. As a result, I found I was ending up with 6 or 8 styles, each cascading to the previous. This is usually not what I want. Unlike a typical user who creates documents, I generally create styles for templates.

This all came to my attention as I wrote a macro to delete "dead" paragraph styles -- styles that are not used in the document. I don't retain styles based on Word's definition of "styles in use", but styles which are actually applied to a paragraph. I add to this any styles on which applied styles are based, down as many levels as required. All other styles, with the exception of built-in styles, are deleted.