5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying files from external hard drive w/Acronis (Vista)

Hi everybody,

I have been using Acronis to back up all of my drives to an external hard drive. I have used it in copying my files from one computer to another with no problems.

But recently, I have used it to copy files to a new computer. The hard drive is enormous is it is a 64-bit Vista system. For some reason, though, although i am copying entire folders, only some of the items in those folders are actually being copied. I thought that perhaps the files that were not showing up were invisible, but they weren't, and even if they were, I have enabled invisible folders to show up.

I can get all of the items to be copied at times, but only when I right click on them and select copy (as opposed to highlighting them and clicking control + C), but even this sometimes only works when I do it a couple of times.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Regards,

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying files from external hard drive w/Acronis (Vista)

First question: do you mean Acronis True Image?

Second question: why would you want to "copy files" from one computer to another, using a program that is dedicated to making backup IMAGES of entire hard drives? Copying files is a job for Windows Explorer or some other third-party file management program, not a backup imaging program.

Now, on the other hand, if you're talking about retrieving selected files from a backup image, would you clarify that for us please? (It's called "mounting" an image.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello all,

Yes; I mean Acronis True Image Home 11.

Yes; I meant "mounting an image," if that means copying select files from my external hard drive that were copied there from my old computer using Acronis. I guess then Acronis is out of the picture, since I am now using Windows Explorer. But I thought I would mention I originally used Acronis since I am going into the Acronis BackUp files, which may have something to do with the problem.

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, now that I'm straightened out on what you're doing, let me summarize. You're using TI 11 to mount a backup image that's located on an external USB drive. When the image mounts, you then try to copy selected files and folders using Windows Explorer. Am I good so far? Now, you then said you're copying them to a new computer. Is it the same computer you're on when you mount the drive, or another computer on a local network or domain? If it were me, I wouldn't use the copy-paste command (ctrl-c / ctrl-v) for such a task. I think I would drag-n-drop in Explorer so I could "see" the action as it happens.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Big Al,

You have it all right, and I am copying the files to the same computer that I am using to mount the drive.

Would dragging and dropping make a difference? I can "see" the action also when I use control + c or control + v because an image appears showing the files being transferred from one folder to another.

In any case, yesterday, I uninstalled the trial version of Acronis on my new computer and installed the full version and the problem seemed to disappear. I went through most of the folders to check to see that all the files were in there, and according to my serach, they were, but it is still possible there are some missing that I did not see.

I don't know what was happening, but perhaps the Acronis trial version can't handle the transfer of such large files all at the same time. But then again, Acronis is kind of the picture at the point that you have already mounted the image and are only copying and pasting through Windows Explorer, so I have no idea what the problem was.

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Would dragging and dropping make a difference? <hr>
    I can't be sure, but it might. I had some trouble a time or two when I was bringing selected files from a mounted image and, like your example, it seemed that TI wasn't getting all of the ones I had selected. I DID manage, on more than one occasion, to get it done successfully and the only thing I did differently was to use drag-n-drop instead of ctrl-c / ctrl-v AND I did smaller batches of files at a time.

Just be sure that you're doing "user generated" files and NOT those that are an integral part of the operating system, which of course requires a restore operation rather than copying of individual files. (**) I also don't know if it would be a problem when using the trial version. Mine was always a licensed and registered copy. It sounds like you're making progress, so maybe it WAS the trial version.

(**) Well, that's not 100% true, since I HAVE copied some OS files that were corrupt and didn't have a problem with that. But it was usually just a couple or three files.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Is it 64-bit Vista, or a 64-bit processor?

Are all drives NTFS?