5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Importing Windows Mail Into Thunderbird (Firefox 3)

I'm currently using Windows Mail in Vista to send and receive my POP3 email and I'm considering changing to Thunderbird. Can Thunderbird import Windows Mail accounts and the Windows Mail Address Book (which actually in not a one-file 'book')? I've seen messages about importing Windows Mail messages so apparently there is a way to do that and I'm hoping that they can all be imported in a few number of passes. I have a number of folders and many messages in Windows Mail.

Any importing advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Thanks

Re: Importing Windows Mail Into Thunderbird (Firefox 3)

No personal experience. There is an entry for Windows Mail in this article: Importing and exporting your mail @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I had read that earlier today but it left a lot of questions in my mind. It seemed to be almost exclusively about importing messages.

I installed Thunderbird earlier today and when it finished loading a wizard opened and asked what I wanted to import and listed messages, address book and accounts, I think. During that process I had turned off Internet access to make sure Thunderbird didn't pull unread messages from my online email account. With Internet access turned off Thunderbird closed and didn't try to import anything. When I turned on Internet access and opened Thunderbird again I didn't get that wizard again and when I went to Tools > Import a different wizard opened there and it only listed Outlook and Outlook Express as possible sources. Windows Mail's storage arrangement is very different from both of those. Maybe I'll try uninstalling Thunderbird and installing it again and hope to get to that original wizard again and see what happens then.

Thanks
    Bill

Thanks

The article said you need an extension to import from Windows mail.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah! I read a little of that article about the extension but missed the fact that it added the Windows Mail capability. I'll get it and try again later today.

Thanks,
    Bill