5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

use microsoft fax in vba (XP SP3)

I have finally bitten the bullet and removed Winfax from my system. Far too buggy for far too long. I have installed Microsoft fax, but how do I send faxes using vba code. I see a reference posted by Hans a while back, but the line 'Dim objFaxServer As New FAXCOMEXLib.FaxServer' would seem to indicate that I need a fax server. As I only have MS fax would this work?
    I assume that I would need to set a reference to 'Microsoft Fax Extended COM Type Library."
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: use microsoft fax in vba (XP SP3)

From which application do you want to send a fax? Microsoft Word VBA has a SendFax method that will work with Microsoft Fax.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In Word, I just print to the Fax printer, so that's easy.
    Where I want the vba code is in Access 2003
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try MSKB article How to fax from Access by using the SendObject command in Access 2002 (should apply to Access 2003 too),

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that Hans. However I can't see how it can work. Outlook doesn't know anything about the modem that MS Fax uses. Nor do I have anything set up to fax via email.
    Would you know if there is any way to feed the recipients fax number to the Fax printer driver so that no dialog boxes come up?
    Or maybe there is some third party software that is less buggy than Winfax 10 that Symantec stopped development on about 8 years ago.
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay, I was away for some days. I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you, if I ever tried something like this it's too long ago (at work we use a fax to e-mail / e-mail to fax service).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've got it working. The BIG problem is that I have to convert several forms to reports so that they will fax with the formatting intact. To keep the formatting I have to use the SNP send format, as suggested by John above. Unfortunately this does require the recipient to have Microsoft Snapshot Viewer.
    I looked at third party faxing software, but none of them seem to be capable of sending a form's data and format using vba within Access. Well one does, but it seems to be rather messy. At least Winfax did have this ability - although its buggyness that has been un-updated for about 10 years, precludes its continued use.
    Seems to be a market niche available for a smart young programmer.
    Thanks for your input.
    Regards,
    Peter