Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conditional Formatting menu item inactive (2003 SP2)

I am working on a workbook that is just begging for Conditional Formatting (well, some way of identifying areas based on cell content).

Unfortunately, the Conditional Formatting menu item is grayed out. I am not sure why that is.

I checked the Protection, and the workbook is not protected. In fact, the Protect Sheet and Protect Workbook menu items are grayed out too. In the Format Cells, the cell was Locked, but unchecking that does not free up my Conditional Formatting. The only unusual thing I see about this workbook is that it has [Shared] in the title bar. When I click on Share Workbook, it is indeed checked.

Would sharing a workbook prevent Conditional Formatting? What else in Excel could prevent Conditional Formatting? I'm just plain curious now.

Kevin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conditional Formatting menu item inactive (2003 SP2)

Hi Kevin

The simplest answer is yes, sharing can do this.

Try Tools | Share workbook | Uncheck "Allow changes by more than one user at the same time."
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conditional Formatting menu item inactive (2003 SP2)

In addition to Jezza's reply, sharing a workbook is a bad idea - it greatly increases the probability that the workbook will become corrupted.