New Lounger
    Thanks

Shutting Down for the night

Hi- I recently purchased a Dell 530S and I have a UPS that it is connected to the system. After I shut down the computer I notice light emitting from the machine so their must be a few LED lights internal to the machine that are staying lit.; question is why are they on and what is their purpose. Is it better for the machine to leave power to it or can a shut it down using a UPS unit. As I reading my question it sounds dumb, but I'm curious, thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Shutting Down for the night

Is the light coming from inside the machine? If you are just pressing the power button on most new PCs that will put the machine to sleep. How are you shutting the PC down?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

There must be a small internal night-light so the components don't get scared in the dark. But seriously, if you see LEDs on the network card, you may have "wake on LAN" enabled. In this scenario, your PC monitors for a signal from the network to "wake up." I'm sure this can be disabled. If the lights are coming from somewhere else, can you figure out where?

Thanks

A lot of modern electronic/electrical devices these days does not have a physical (mechanical) on-off switch. The equipment is permanently powered, and in the case of TVs, this is referred to as standby and allows you to use your remote to turn it on and off. The LED is simply indicating that power is available.

Dell computers - and others - are permanently 'on' and this allows the use of a 'soft' power switch. You are actually switching 5V to a control circuit to tell the rest of computer to start up (or turn off) rather than switching the mains power. This allows some components - such as network cards or modems - to wake the pc, as mentioned by Jefferson. It should also prolong the life of your CMOS battery as it won't be being used while any mains power is present.

The power taken in this standby state is minimal, but from an environmental viewpoint, everyone keeping everything on standby adds up to a lot of wasted energy! It all comes down to making life easier for the consumer and cheaper for the manufacturer. Unless you have a specific need to have your pc ready to jump into action at the press of a switch, you may as well turn off the mains power to it.
    And if you are doing that, you may as well turn off the power to your UPS, not just the output, as it will be consuming power too....

Thanks

Conversely, the Dell PCs we have at work have a BIOS option to cause Power-Up at a particular time (on weekdays or every day of the week). I use this feature to cause the PC to boot up, ready to receive files backed up from one of the servers, at 04:00 each morning. For this to happen, the PC has to be powered on at the plug socket, but off via the power button on the system unit. In this condition I couldn't measure any power consumption via the power meter I used (so less than 1 watt), although there will of course be a minimal amount needed to drive the LED and associated circuitry.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...