tommy

DocumentNew and IE

Hi,
    we try to use our Office templates (dot, xlt) from intranet and from filesystem directly. WinExplorer options are set that double clicking a dot creates a new document (double clicking doc: open). Now the problem: clicking on a link to a dot in IE results in open instead of new.
    I already tried to find a tip at MS and other sites - nothing about this - does nobody use templates in the net to create documents or is there a simple solution I don't find?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DocumentNew and IE

Can you set the dot to Read Only?
    Karen

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Change the 'Workgroup'template location in the "Files location" to the network drive that has the 'dot' file on it. Then the 'File New' will bring up the network templets in the Word pane.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

tommy

I have to be more precise, it seems. We have our templates on a fileserver partition, say //server/qm - the template in subfolders, e.g. /server/qm/xy/ab.dot. There is a central //server/qm/base/normal.dot The option Workgroup folders in word is set to //Server/qm/base. No local or other normal.dot's exist. The fileserver partition is write protected. Executing New or Open via WinExplorer works as expected. In IE a click on link file://server/qm/xy/ab.dot results in a FileOpen - I wish it would execute FileNew.
    I did a test as recommended: set workgroup folder option to //Server/qm, exit word, write protect file, and execute the link - same result: FileOpen. Also tried with workgroup folder set to //server/qm/xy: FileOpen.
    In my opinion it is always the calling program (this example: IE) who decides calling FileNew or FileOpen - as is the user when using WinExplorer. I believe what I need is something comparable with WinExplorer/Options/FileTypes for IE. (Settings there are completely ignored)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I believe this is your real problem "No local or other normal.dot's exist".
    You need a local copy of Normal.dot to store your local options. I have seen the control of normal template to be nothing but trouble.
    By not having a local normal template will do nothing but cause trouble for you, as you have found out. This is WHY within the files location options there is the different types of templates, local and workgroups. Set all of the non Corporate templates in the local folder and all of the Corporate templates in the 'Workgroup' folder on the server. This will allow the use of File new or new file or open as required.

Spend your time controlling the Corporate templates. Trying to CONTROL EVERYTHING is and going to be fruitless. Having work in this type of computing control, did nothing but increase the manpower of the IT support and overhead cost of computing. A real waste of money and time.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

tommy

Re: NO: DocumentNew and IE

No, thats not the problem. I even tested at home - standard installation (Office 97, in work its offce 2000) - no company templates or normal.dot. At work I tried with a new created normal.dot (created from word). result: file opens as .dot. It is the same if you load a htm file into word instead of IE and try to follow the link (example html at the end of this posting).
    The companys normal.dot is not there for controlling everything - I would LOVE any idea to offer a general set of makros and settings a user may or may not override with his personal version. But I do definitely not want to maintain a large set of makros and settings in every template or spread each template over all templates (there are a too many of them). I welcome every hint to both - and give a kiss for every solution or even if you modify the following html to hold a valid link in your environment and give it a try.
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>a file</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>

file
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

[img]/w3timages/icons/shy.gif[/img]