New Lounger
    Thanks

Date Add (Word 2003)

I have been trying to follow "macropod" suggestion to insert a future date but for the life of me, I cannot get it to work. I have been trying for 6 hours straight. (I have tried to post it under post 595,560 but it does not give me the option)

Attached is what I have written and the bottom part is what I get. What is it that I am doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Date Add (Word 2003)

Hi tsindos,

You're not using the best field for this. I'd suggest using the field code found under the heading 'Calculate a day, date, month and year, using n months delay', changing all the 'Date' strings in the field to 'StartDate', deleting the '{SET Delay -1} field and changing the remaining 'Delay' reference in the field to 'Months'. That way, the field will reference you 'Startdate' and 'Months' bookmarks.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello macropod,

I have done as you suggested (which I have done in the past as well). The problem is that it does not calculate the "months". Whatever I put in the "StartDate" it gives me the same in the field I want calculated.
    I thought in the begining that I am not "naming" my strings properly but it seems that that is not the problem. I have made sure that "Months" type is "number" and "StartDate" is "Date". It still does not work.

Do you know if the system settings have anything to do with it? My computer is Greek therefore the long date (dddd, dd MMMM yyyy) is displayed in Greek - when I use this I get a Syntax Error. This is the reason I am using the short date (dd/mm/yyyy).

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi tsindos,

Try the attached. It works for me with my std settings (Australian dates), which are basically the same as for the UK. I have no idea about how the field code syntax might need to be changed to work with Greek regional settings.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am in and out of the office today so I may not be able to answer back immediately.

I have tried your attachment (very impressive). However, I still cannot get it to work (even with UK settings). Can I ask a favour? Can you put 1 month and startdate 01/01/2000 and see if it works. It gives me

<font color=red>Period of hire: 1 month
    Starting on: Saturday, 1 January 2000 and ending on: Friday, 1 December 2000 </font color=red>

Is it me or the code?

Thanks again.

Regards

Harry

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Harry,

With those parameters, I get:
    <hr>Period of hire: 1 month
    Starting on: Saturday, 1 January 2000 and ending on: Tuesday, 1 February 2000.<hr>
    Maybe one of the other loungers will understand what settings might be causing the different results you're getting.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Paul for all the trouble. I appreciate it. I believe the problem is on my PC. I will find it - I'm a stubborn guy.

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you use the comma as decimal separator? If so, you need to replace the commas in the formulas with semi-colons. See the attached version.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello HansV
    Sorry for the lateness.
    You were absolutely right. I have tried for many hours and eventually you saved me.
    I had no idea that the semi-colons would be the solution and I never even tried it. I guess the system settings are important for MSWORD after all.
    Thank you again.
    Regards